jpezz

AVG Anti-Virus says update 8.08 has a virus

When I try and run the update, my AVG anti-virus (AVG 2013 latest definitions) says:

Found Luhe.Fiha.A

Description C:Program Files(x86)The Master Geneologist v8viewertmgss.exe

Severeity: High

State: Infected

The update thinks it works but the program still shows 8.00

The AVG warning has come up before and is a false positive on the TMG slideshow viewer.

Have you checked Help / About in TMG? It should say v8.08.0000.

Virginia

It says 8.00.0000. That's the problem. It thinks it is updated because when I now try to do an update, it says "up tp date". If I try to run the update program manually, it gets stopped by AVG. I will try to temporarily shut off AVG.

Update: Shut off AVG temporarily and reran installer in the Program Data directory. I did a "repair". No complaint from AVG as it was disabled but it didn't update although it thinks it did. Program still shows 8.00.0000

Edited by jpezz

Follow my instructions to do a clean install of v8.08.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=14634

Sorry I took so long to get back but I was out of country then forgot about it.

I found the problem. My shortcut was pointing to the old copy of the program which was located in C:Users[myname]AppDataLocalProgramsThe Master Genealogist v8tmg8.exe

I created a new shortcut to the correct location and it works fine.

I am not sure why the link was pointing there.

Q: Do I even need that directory?

Q: Can I also get rid of the C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v7 directory since there is a comparable one for V8? Seems like the original upgrade to V8 didn't remove this directory.

I found the problem. My shortcut was pointing to the old copy of the program which was located in C:Users[myname]AppDataLocalProgramsThe Master Genealogist v8tmg8.exe

Q: Do I even need that directory?

That is the program folder for a single user installation. TMG8 no longer supports single user installations and that folder should be deleted.

r />

>Q: Can I also get rid of the C:ProgramDataThe Master Genealogist v7 directory since there is a comparable one for V8? Seems like the original upgrade to V8 didn't remove this directory.

TMG7 and TMG8 are different programs and both can be installed at the same time. The TMG8 installer knows nothing about the TMG7 installation. If you uninstall TMG7, be sure not to remove the shared files.

I just installed 8.08 on my new Win 8.1 computer yesterday, and got the same hit on tmgss.exe as described in the original post. AVG automatically removed the file from the "The Master Genealogist v8viewer" folder. I don't see anything in this thread about how to avoid this problem, so FYI here's what I did.

First, I copied the tmgss.exe file from my TMG 8.04 installation on my outgoing computer into my 8.08 installation on the new computer.

Second, I changed some AVG settings. AVG has a way to exclude items from scans, but says in the article that the exclusion only applies to "potential" threats, but not not "viral files". The procedure is described in question 7 on http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/virus-and-malware-information/content/faq/. Instead of excluding the specific file, I excluded the whole "c:program files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8" folder. Then I ran a scan on "c:program files (x86)". No threats were detected, so it looks like I should be okay.

Third, another precaution I took was to uncheck "Heal / remove virus infections without asking me" for future scans. That way if tmgss.exe is identified as a threat again, I should be given the opportunity to retain the file.

I guess I'm taking a risk by excluding the entire TMG installation from the AVG scan, so I hope Wholly Genes keeps its install bundles clean. :)

I'd be interested to hear any other solutions or experiences.

As mentioned previously in this post, this is a false positive from AVG. The only solution is to use whatever settings are provided by AVG to tell it that this file is not a problem, as you did.