jayyew50

Problem with backup file

Hi

A long time user of TMG I haven't used it much in the last 8 months, but extensively in the last few weeks. I discovered there were several updates to my version 8.02 that I had missed so I updated through 8.04 to 8.06. Then had a problem with roles in tags replaced by a number.

Advised by Tech Supprot to uninstll and clean re-install I backed up only my main project of some 36000 people. I had only two active projects. The main one, and a much smaller 50 person project. The file size was 250mb, much the same as it has been over the last three years.

When I use 8.08 to re-open the newest backup it contains the small project - not the main project - althugh the file size is consistent with the main project and it carries the main project name.

If I revert to my last correctly working backup made in Aug 2012 I am going to lose 8 months work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

regards

Judith Upton

Terry

Out of curiosity I downloaded the 30 day trial of UK Gold 8.08 to my laptop. I've never had TMG 8 on there. I then used my last backup to restore the project on there. It still came up as the wrong project. Even into that clean install.

I don't understand how I could have the main project open in 8.06, use a backup configuration that I've used many times before, and end up with the wrong project backed up. I also don't understand how the backup file is the right size for the main project and totally wrong for the project it claims to contain.

Thank you for your time

best wishes

Judith Upton

Let me start by saying that this is most likely a user-generated problem. I say that to get you to focus where to find the problem.

1) By default, the current open project is backed up.

2) By default, the backup file name will have the name of the current project and the current data and time.

3) By default, the saved backup file will be located in the default backups folder.

First check your Preferences / Current project / Advanced paths and make sure they are correct... and particularly the backups path.

In regard to both points 1, 2 and 3, are you using a custom backup configuration?

In a custom backup configuration, it is possible that you have saved the project to backup with a different project selected and the backup destination with a different project name and a different path. Either could be the issue.

With a custom backup configuration, it is possible to back up a different project and save the backup with the name of the current project.

Jim

Keep in mind that I had just updated to 8.06 and all was not well.

The project that was open in 8.06 was the main project. The backup has that project name. The backup is in the default folder.

Using Windows 7 I originally installed TMG 8 using the default settings. I changed nothing. I did not use a custom confiuration for my backups.

Everything was fine with my backups until I installed the updates. My last backup in Aug 2012 (which would have been in 8.02 probably) opens correctly in 8.08. If necessary I will revert to that but it means losing eight months work.

Had I backed up the smaller project by accident, inattention to file names, whatever, it should be a considerably smaller backup file. I wonder if two projects are in the same backup file.

Thank you for your time. it is appreciated

Judith

I wonder if two projects are in the same backup file.

There is no way to do that.

You can always see what is contained in the backup file for yourself. It's a ZIP file.

Virginia

Yes, but that's odd. There are two there with exactly the same time and date for the last backup on the 25 Apr 2013. One of them is checked. There's one for my Aug 2012 backup, and then lots more going back over many years.

The annoying part of this is that had I waited just a couple more days to update I would have gone straight to 8.08.

Jim mentioned that the .sqz is a ZIP file. How could I open that and view it for myself please?

I'm guessing that the small project was backed up with the exhibits from the main project. That's the only way that I can see for the file to be so big.

Thank you Virginia. Your help is appreciated

Judith

Judith -

Have you installed v8.08 and tried to open (not Restore) your main project in it? Assuming you did not delete your project folder when you did the clean uninstall, there is no need to Restore from a backup. An uninstall does not affect your project folder, nor does Jim's recommended clean uninstall

Virginia

Jim mentioned that the .sqz is a ZIP file. How could I open that and view it for myself please?

Judith,

Change the extension to ZIP and you can view it in Windows Explorer.

Judith,

If you upload your Projects folder to the Wholly Genes server using Help / Message Manager / Outgoing tab, I'll take a look and check your projects and make backups for you. (The program will make a ZIP file with your Projects folder when you upload.)

If you do this, let me know when it is uploaded so that I can retrieve it.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

At this point, you do not want to do anything that loses your current projects(s) and eight months work.

To Jim Terry and Virginia

I'm going to call it quits on this and use my backup from Aug 2012. It's taking too much of all of your time and mine. I started with UFT and lost work there, and survived the experience. I'll just have to make absolutely certain that I pay attention to what the backup process is doing in future.

Thank you so much for all trying to hard for me. It has been appreciated.

regards

Judith