wingfield

gedcom export problem

hello,

I'm a long time user of TMG and a first time poster to the forum. hopefully someone can help. I'm having a problem with the gedcom export feature. for some reason, the entirety of tags are not being exported to the gedcom. in TMG there are a number of Cen-Enum and Cen-Head tags. below is a gedcom export of an individual in my database - John Welch. I've also provided an "individual detail" report (which mysteriously doesn't include the Cen-Enum tags). in TMG there are a number of Cen-Enum and Cen-Head tags. you can see from the below that these are not being exported. if I could figure out how to add an attachment, I'd also include a screen shot of this person in TMG. so, to summarize, the ged export doesn't include either the Cen-Head or Cen-Enum tags. further, the "individual detail" report doesn't include the Cen-Enum tags. This person in TMG includes both. any assistance would be appreciated.

btw, in export settings, I'm using gedcom 5.5, character set ANSI, all tag types, events - all variations.

1 NAME John /Welch/

2 SOUR @S669@

1 SEX M

1 CHAN

2 DATE 12 MAY 2013

1 BIRT

2 DATE 1810

2 PLAC Ireland

2 SOUR @S669@

3 PAGE b 1810

2 SOUR @S577@

3 PAGE b 1811

2 SOUR @S672@

3 PAGE b 1811

1 EVEN

2 TYPE Employ-Beg

2 DATE 1850

2 NOTE test gedcom import event with a dash in the name

1 OCCU John was a farmer according to the 1860 US federal census with real estat

2 CONC e valued at $2000 and personal property valued at 900.

2 DATE 21 JUN 1860

2 PLAC Westport, Dane, Wisconsin, USA

2 SOUR @S669@

1 OCCU John was a farmer according to the 1870 US federal census with real esta

2 CONC te valued at $6000 and personal property valued at $2000.

2 DATE 15 JUN 1870

2 PLAC Springfield Town, Dane, Wisconsin, USA

2 SOUR @S577@

1 DEAT

2 DATE 1878

2 PLAC Dane, Wisconsin, USA

2 SOUR @S672@

3 PAGE d 1878

1 BURI

2 DATE 1878

2 PLAC 5460 Marylake Rd, Westport, Dane, Wisconsin, USA

2 SOUR @S672@

3 PAGE d 1878

1 FAMS @F495@

0 @I2412@ INDI

Subject*

John Welch (2411)1

Father*

Mother*

Birth*

__/__/1810

Ireland.2,3,4

Marriage*

before __/__/1840

Bridget (--?--) (2412) (b. / /1809, d. / /1895)5

Son:

__/__/1840

Thomas Welch (1168); Ireland.6,7

Daughter:

__/__/1845

Judy Welch (2414); Ireland.6

Daughter:

__/__/1849

Mary Welch (2415); Ireland.6

Daughter:

__/__/1852

Nancy Welch (2416); Wisconsin, USA.8,9

Daughter:

__/__/1855

Bridget Welch (2417); Wisconsin, USA.10,10

Cen-Head*

6/21/1860

WI Dane County 1860 Census (2410); Westport, Dane, Wisconsin, USA.6

Occupation*

6/21/1860

Westport, Dane, Wisconsin, USA; John was a farmer according to the 1860 US federal census with real estate valued at $2000 and personal property valued at 900.11

Cen-Head*

6/15/1870

WI Dane County 1870 Census (2265); Springfield Town, Dane, Wisconsin, USA.12

6/15/1870

Springfield Town, Dane, Wisconsin, USA; John was a farmer according to the 1870 US federal census with real estate valued at $6000 and personal property valued at $2000.13

Death*

__/__/1878

Dane, Wisconsin, USA.14

Burial*

__/__/1878

St. Mary of the Lake Catholic Cemetery, 5460 Marylake Rd, Westport, Dane, Wisconsin, USA, 608 238 5561, 43.15916,-89.425952.15

thank you,
David

David,

I'm not clear on the issue with the Individual Detail Report, but have some ideas about the GEDCOM issue.

Both the Tag Types you mention are custom Tag Types, so there are several possible issues. I'd guess the most likely is the Principals you have entered in them. GEDCOM only accepts Tags with two principals in limited cases. The two Principals have to be a "family" - that is, they have to have a joint Marriage tag, or have children together. And, the GEDCOM tag type (set on the Other tab of the Tag Type Definition screen) has to be an accepted family tag type. If these conditions are met, the tag is exported as a family tag, not a tag attached to the individual.

If there is only one principal entered the issue is something else.

People attached as Witnesses to a Tag are of course totally ignored by GEDCOM.

The GEDCOM export tag for the custom tag typles should be 1 EVEN 2 TYPE and the events will be in the family records in the GEDCOM if P1 and P2 are the husband and wife or parents.

Terry & Jim - thank you very much for both of your answers. I have a follow-up.

(a) 1st - the answer is the problem; and you both nailed it. no easy way to fix this, I suppose. anyway, as I mentioned, I've been using TMG for well over a decade, perhaps two?? anyway, the way I enter my census data is by creating a person for each census. that is then entered in P2 of either a Cen-Head or Cen-Enum tag. then all family members are entered as witnesses for the Cen-Head tag, except the HoH who is P1. when I enter the Cen-Enum tag for all the family members, I put the HoH as witness, and each family member as P1 in their respective tag, again with the census person as P2. there are a number of benefits to this system that I've found over the years, and I certainly am not claiming it as mine. I found it on the web long ago. no idea who gets credit. now, I just found a negative to the system - no gedcom export of my census events. sigh :<) this is very unfortunate for me, as I use TNG for my web presence; which is populated by gedcom import.

(b ) "GEDCOM only accepts Tags with two principals in limited cases. The two Principals have to be a "family" - that is, they have to have a joint Marriage tag, or have children together." Wow, who knew? I guess my question here is where would you find this information. I can't imagine this is very well know. Terry - I see your name all over the forums and also see that you've written a book; so I appreciate your chiming in here. Jim - you're the moderator. I guess I'm saying I understand why you guys would know. maybe I've just been out of the genealogy business for too long. that's what I get for taking a break. anyway, where does one go to learn the "ins and outs" of what can be expected from a gedcom export. wish I'd have known that little tidbit 20 years ago.

perhaps I need to take a look at "second site".....

anyway, a very heartfelt thank you to both of you for your answer. and so quick, no less. call me a very pleased first time poster, even though I didn't like the answer too much :wink:

Edited by wingfield

You're welcome, winfield.

This issue has been discussed here from time to time. The use of "census people" is just one of the many examples of good things you can do with TMG that GEDCOM doesn't support.

I'd heartily support Second Site as a better way to get your TMG data on the web. It deals well with all the details in TMG's data structures, including Sentences (if you like narrative output) and Sources, and offers a host of options both for display of the data and styling the site itself. It also has means to add maps, photo galleries, calendars, and other features. There are a number of articles on my website (link below) discussing many of the capabilities of that program.