Sign in to follow this  
walterwood44

Sentence Problem

I am just now learning sentences so I may have missed something here. I have a photo from a family reunion with 20+ people in it. These people are all in my database. I added a Tag to one of these people and then added the rest as witnesses. I changed the sentence fpr all of the individuals so that it would list all of the names in reports. This change is reflected in both the principle and the individual witnesses in person view. However when i create a report only the principle is shown.

The new sentence is: [M] with [P], [WO]<was |and [WO] were> <[D]> <[L]>

When I view it in the Tag Entry screen it reads:

Was present at a family reunion for descendents of Decanie Dexter Dowling with Saidee Elise Dowling, Henry A Roseberry, Mary Martha Dowling, Edna Tuten, George Odom James, Rosena Youmans, James Frankling Dowling, Cameron Leroy Dowling, Moye Clifton Dowling, Wilbur Boyce Dowling, Lois Duncan, Maude Wiggins, Lily Maude Boyd, Harriet Mamie Sue Dowling, Edna Lenora 'Nonie' Dowling, Ida Mae Dowling, Ethel Louise McDaniel, Miki Ann Fluker, Anna Ruth Flood, Herbert Lewis Dowling, Richard Lewis Dowling, Robert Warren Dowling, James Austin Dowling, Edward Hawthorne Fluker Jr., David Thornton Fluker Jr, Bobbie Fluker, Walter Dowling Wood and Joan Fluker was spring 1954 in Herbert Dowling's home, Treasure Island, Pinellas, Florida.

However it only reads this way for the principle in a report . For the witnesses it reads:

Ethel Louise McDaniel was a witness when an unknown person was Family reunion for Decanie Dexter Dowling's descendents in spring 1954 in 1954 at Treasure Island, Pinellas, Florida

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Walter

It looks like you have the default Witness Sentences being used. If you have in fact changed the Witness Sentences the issue is most likely issue is one of Languages - the Language in which you entered the Sentences is not the same one that's been specified for the report.

Verify the Language that appears at the top right of the Tag Entry screen, then compare it to the one specified on the General tab of options for the report you are using.

>> Verify the Language that appears at the top right of the Tag Entry screen,

>> then compare it to the one specified on the General tab of options for the

>> report you are using.

Everything appears to be English US.

I am also seeing the same result in Second Site 5

Walter

Hi Terry,

I had been going to each witness and changing the Sentence. I see now that was only changing the result for the principle. I did what you suggested and that works. The Sentence for the Witnesses now reads [:CR:][M] with [P1], [WO] in <[D]> <[L]> and it comes out the way I wanted.

"Was present at a family reunion for descendents of Decanie Dexter Dowling with Herbert Lewis Dowling, Henry A Roseberry, Edna Tuten, George Odom James, Rosena Youmans, James Frankling Dowling, Cameron Leroy Dowling, Moye Clifton Dowling, Wilbur Boyce Dowling, Lois Duncan, Maude Wiggins, Lily Maude Boyd, Harriet Mamie Sue Dowling, Edna Lenora 'Nonie' Dowling, Ida Mae Dowling, Ethel Louise McDaniel, Anna Ruth Flood and Saidee Elise Dowling in spring 1954 at Herbert Dowling's home, Treasure Island, Pinellas, Florida." (I changed the Principle from the previous example I posted.)

Now the only issue I have is that the women's maiden names are displayed rather than their married names. I did not see a way to change this other than changing their name in person view to their married name.?

Thanks for all the help.

Walter

Walter,

Actually, in my first reply I wrote about the need to change the Sentences for each Witness, then went back and read your post and thought you had done that so I removed that part. Guess not. :no:

If you have the women's married names entered in name tags, probably Name-Marr, you can select that name in the Edit Witness screen for each Witness. At the top right of the Edit Witness screen is a drop-down that lets you specify which name is to be used for that Tag.

Walter,

Actually, in my first reply I wrote about the need to change the Sentences for each Witness, then went back and read your post and thought you had done that so I removed that part. Guess not. :no:

I thought I had, but I was doing it from the box in the lower left while changing from one person in the database to the next. I was not aware that I needed to or could double-click on each witness.

If you have the women's married names entered in name tags, probably Name-Marr, you can select that name in the Edit Witness screen for each Witness. At the top right of the Edit Witness screen is a drop-down that lets you specify which name is to be used for that Tag.

Thanks a lot Terry, I really appreciate it. Now I wonder how many other sentences I need to go back and check. :lookaround:

Both TMG and Second Site have so many great capabilities that I seems almost impossible to know them all.

Walter

Walter,

It is easy to confuse how the Tag Entry screen works - it is not uncommon to think that if you access the tag from a different person that somehow it's then their screen, and the Sentence should apply to that person even if they are entered as a Witness.

But in fact, there is only one Tag, and only one Tag Entry Screen, no matter how you open it. Principals are still Principals, and Witnesses are still Witnessed, and they have to be edited according to their place in the Tag regardless of how you entered the Tag Entry screen.

The one exception to this concerns Sentences for Principals. Then you open the Sentences screen, which you now recognize applies only to Principals, if there are two Principals there will be two Roles at the top of the Sentences screen. When you open the Tag Entry screen from one of those Principals the Role for that Principal is selected by default, though you can click on the other Role to see the Sentence for the other Principal.

I'm using TMG V. 9.05 but I think my issue; "unknown person" , is close to this subject.

I add a witness, Erasmia D., to the death of Irma S. .

The "Edit witness" screen shows the sentence structure as follows;

[RP:Witness] witnessed [R:Deceased]'s death <[D]> <[L]>. <[M2].> .

The "Witness Sentence" Preview reads:

"She witnessed an unknown person 's death on 07 May 1971 in Home for the Elderly, See g. 9, Wien,09, Wien, Austria".

The language is set for; English (U.S.) in the Edit witness screen. Same language setting as for the TMG FILE\Language .

Is there any other place to check for language settings ?

Thanks for advice on this.

You got that perfect; I did not have the Role of the Principal set to "Deceased". I totally neglected that setting (admitting that I have never used that setting). When I set the Role, all went well.

I'm now aware of that option and will extend the use of that feature.

Many thanks,

Ed

Ed,

The Sentence you quoted is a perfect example of the misuse of Role variables and how that can cause needless problems. The Sentence is:

[RP:Witness] witnessed [R:Deceased]'s death . .

By using the variable [R:Deceased] the Principal must assigned that Role. This serves no purpose, and in fact requires the addition of the " 's " since there is no possessive form of that variable.

Instead the Sentence should be:

[RP:Witness] witnessed [P1S] death . .

By using the Principal variable the same result is obtained regardless of the Role assigned the Principal, and since there is a possessive form the " 's " can be avoided.

I recommend that instead of having to remember to assign the Role to the Principal which you don't otherwise need, you change the Witness Sentence as shown above.