Sign in to follow this  
wingfield

List of Witness Report : Problem

Hello,

I'm running TMG v8.07 with windows 7 home premium.

I'm running the "list of witnesses" report. I've provided a link below to help describe my problem.

http://www.themeinerts.com/MeinertWebPage/tmg_mn.htm

the 1st graphic I've provided shows the person view in TMG. you can clearly see that there are exactly 2 witness events for the date 7/25/1870.

the 2nd graphic shows the report columns I've chosen on the "list of witness" report. I've also run this with "witness last given" without the "selected" in the column name. the output is the same either way.

the 3rd graphic shows the report output. you can see that there are 3 records for this person on the date in question.

the 4th and 5th graphics show the tag entries for the cen-head and cen-enum events.

(a) why are there 3 records in the report, when there are only 2 events??

(b )you can see where on the person view, I have a "cen-head" and a "cen-enum" event. however, the "list of witness" report shows all three records with the "cen-enum" tag. any idea why? what happened to the record with the "cen-head" tag? also, this kind've implies that there's a witness record missing; which only further aggravates the observation in (a) above.

(c ) any idea why there's a record on the report output showing "1870 Census, PA Allegheny Cnty" as a witness? there is no event on the person view with "1870 Census, PA Allegheny Cnty" as a witness. why is this showing up??

my expectation when I run this report is that I get 2 records, each respectively reflective of the 2 events shown in the person view. can anyone explain what is going on here??

thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

btw - for the life of me, I can't figure out how to upload media on this forum. I see the "mymedia" link when creating this thread message; but I can't figure out how to upload to the "mymedia" area. perhaps Velke has this functionality turned off??

David

Edited by wingfield

You haven't specified how the report is defined.

The report is a list of witnesses (depending on the filter), not a list of witnessed events.

You don't have enough posts to be able to add attachments. You have to be a "Senior Member".

Jim,

thank you for your reply.

You haven't specified how the report is defined.

I've provided the output columns. Can you please share what additional report definition you'd need to help answer my questions? I can post it in the link I provided.

The report is a list of witnesses (depending on the filter), not a list of witnessed events.

I don't understand the discernment you're making here. As I understand it, the only way to have a witness is by adding one to an event. This means that if I report a list of witnesses, there is at least one event associated with every witness. in my example, there are many witnesses for one event depending on which event is in question. The questions I've posted reflect this understanding.

David

I'm still trying to understand exactly what the issue is.

"1870 Census, PA Allegheny Cnty" is a witness. (P2 on the events)

You define the report by the subject selected and/or by the filter selected. How many witnesses are listed depends on how the report is defined. Irrespective of how the output columns are set up, you should get one row per witness.

Who is the subject of the report?

What is the filter for the report?

Jim,

you should get one row per witness.

I agree and stated this in my original query - "my expectation when I run this report is that I get 2 records, each respectively reflective of the 2 events shown in the person view". having said that, you've (I think) cleared up the answer to both questions (a) and (c ) about why there are 3 records instead of the 2 shown on the person view and why the census person is showing on the report. you've stated that P2 is a witness. I did not know this. I thought the witnesses added in the section below the place detail and above the citation detail were the only witnesses. if P2 is always considered a witness as well, then that helps with my understanding for both of those questions. thank you.

btw - and perhaps this should now be obvious to me, but is P1 also a witness??

Who is the subject of the report?

What is the filter for the report?

the subject of the report is a filter which pulls all events matching tag type "cen-enum" or "cen-head".

I think you've probably answered (b ) as well; but I need to think about this a bit.

David

In terms of the List of Witnesses... (and TMG in general)

All individuals linked to an event are witnesses.

The witnesses can be divided into "principals" and "other witnesses". The individuals linked to an event who are referred to on the Tag Entry screen as witnesses are actually "other witnesses".

Jim,

your last post did it for me. I now understand the answer to (b ) as well. I've modified my report filter to exclude tags matching criteria "witness... is not a principal". now my report reflects what my expectation was.

I very much appreciate your responses and your patience. thank you.

David