Elizabeth

Sharing a partial data set

I want to share a partial data set with my brother. He and I have the same mother, but different fathers. He recently purchased TMG8 (I have 7), and I want to make him a file of his paternal and maternal ancestors, but NOT my paternal ancestors. I have been studying the topics of Data Sets, Projects and Picklists, but am still not clear how to accomplish separating his ancestors from mine. If you could point me toward the needed instructions, I would be very appreciative.

Run a desc report from the eldest maternal ancestor you want to include for all descendants. Under OPTIONS, go to the Secondary Output. At the top is the ability to create a new Project with the results of the report. Back up the Project and send to him (if he has same TMG version) ..if not, you need to create a GEDCOM as output where you normally request a printed file.

Lady B,

There is no secondary output from Descendant reports - only from the List of People and List of Events. Elizabeth already said her brother has a later version than she does, so there is no problem with him restoring a backup from her project. Never use GEDCOM to transfer to another person's TMG - you lose all sorts of data.

Elizabeth,

You can do this by creating a new project and sending your brother a Backup of it, as Lady B says. But you have to do that with the List of People report. The trick is to specify the correct people for the report. There are several methods to do that, but I would suggest using the Focus Group. Before you open the List of People report, create the Focus Group, as follows:

1. Navigate to your mother. Open the Focus Group, and empty it if there is anyone in it. Right-click on your mother's name, and choose "Add to Focus Group.

2. Click on her name in the FG to select her, then in the Add Others box check Ancestors, with the number of generations setting higher than the number of generations in your project, and make sure other options are unchecked. Click the Add Others button. This puts in all your mother's ancestors.

3. Click the Select All button, then uncheck Ancestors and check Descendants. Click Add Others. This adds siblings of you ancestors, including you and you children if any.

4. Click Select All, uncheck Descendants, and check Spouses. Click Add Others. This adds spouses of all the siblings and "other" spouses of the ancestors.

5. Finally, Click Select All, uncheck Spouses, and check Ancestors. Set the number of generations to one. Click Add Others. This adds the parents of spouses, including your father, but not his ancestors.

If there is anyone included you don't want to send him, manually delete them from the list. Likewise, you can manually add anyone you want to include who is not covered by the above specifications.

Once you have the FG set open the List of People report. Set the "Subjects" to the Focus Group. Go to Options, on the Secondary Output tab, and check New Project and give it a name. Click OK, and then make the report. When prompted, let TMG create the new Project.

Open that project and make a Backup. Then send the Backup to your brother, who will Restore it.

Terry, thank you for the very detailed instructions. Last night I found your article on Using People Filters (14 Aug 2005). I was able to use those instructions to make the correct list of people, but I should have created the Focus Group first. I then made a new data set before realizing I should have make a new project. Trial and error is a hard learning process. I will follow the new instructions to the letter. Thanks again.

Elizabeth,

If you got the right people with a filter you can use that. I think it is often easier with a Focus Group, but either way can work.

I am trying to do something similar to what Elizabeth wanted to do. I followed Terry's instructions and did make a focus group, but it doesn't have any cousins. I want to make a GEDCOM that has my father's entire side of the family, including every relative. How to add cousins?

Cousins are added in step 3 of my instructions above. If you did that and don't have cousins the problem is the number of generations specified in that step. You need to specify enough generations to get the number of generations of cousins you want from each generation of ancestors.

Terry, I see now that I have cousins in my focus group. However, the focus group lists 132 individuals, but the new project I created per your instructions has only 27 people in the Project Explorer. How can that be?

A focus group is a list of names, not individuals. If you didn't create the focus group using primary names only, you can have multiple names for each individual. This gives the impression that the focus group contains more individuals than is the case.

If you filter the Project Explorer for primary names only before creating the focus group and then use those names to create the focus group, then the number of names and the number of individuals in the focus group will be the same.

I'm sorry if I'm dense, but I have followed every step exactly. The focus group that I end up with has all the correct people in it. Then I go to the list of people report and set the secondary output to make a new project and my new project has no aunts or uncles or cousins in it. They were in the focus group.

Jim is right that a Focus Group can be a list of names, but that doesn't explain your result. The method I outlined will place only the primary name for each person in the Focus Group.

I'm at a loss to explain your result. First, are you sure that when you used the List of People report you set the Subjects to the current Focus Group?

You might try this - do this again with the same Focus Group, and examine the List of People report itself, rather than opening the GEDCOM. Does it have the correct people in it?

I have found the problem. I did not re-save my focus group from the previous time when I did it incorrectly. Now I have all the correct people except my mother's parents are somehow included in my father's line. If you include spouses and parents of spouses and you start with the parent whose line you want to isolate, then it seems to me you will get this incorrect result. Maybe I should have started with my paternal grandfather?

I'm glad you found the problem. I suspected it had to have something to do with getting the Focus Group used by the List of People report, which is why I suggested looking at its output.

There's always a question about what to do with those in the last generation or two. If I were doing it, I'd think including them is correct because I always include parents of spouses when I have them. It's possible to figure out how to do this so those "extras" are excluded, but the easiest solution when you have a couple of people to add or remove is just do that manually in the Focus Group.