I have just (today) upgraded from v7 to the latest v8 version of TMG.

I have a family renunion coming up and wanted to print a couple of Ancestor Box Charts on A3.

The one for my mother generated ok, but when I try and generate the one for my father after I select Create Chart, it starts the VCF application - seems to hang up on "building the boxes" - I get a message saying be patient, but after a few minutes the screen just disappears - no error, no nothing.

The last entries in the _process.log read...

08-06-2013, 17:22:05 >********************************************************************************
08-06-2013, 17:28:03 >C:PROGRAM FILES (X86)THE MASTER GENEALOGIST V8vcf.exe "c:usersalienwaredocumentsthe master genealogist v8configuration_filesvcfwanc.vcc"
08-06-2013, 17:28:03 >Result =1
08-06-2013, 17:28:03 >cProcessInfo=@ à Ü
08-06-2013, 17:28:03 >cStartUpInfo=D
08-06-2013, 17:28:03 >********************************************************************************

Is this a problem with v8? Is there anything else I can send to help solve the problem?

All the best

Simon -

Does your father's chart include images? If so, try it without images and see if it completes. VCF will hang on a .png format image.

Note your Chart Destination should be 'View in Visual Chartform'. After you create the chart you can use' FileExportSave as' to save your chart as a .jpg image.

Virginia

Thanks for the reply

Creating it without images did work - so I suspect I do have a png file image. Not a problem as I am happy not to have images in that report (although it may have been nice to have that as an error message).

I did create it as jpg, but the quality of that is not good enough to print but I see there are articles here about saving it as a one page pdf which then can be printed so I will have a read of them.

Thanks again for he quick response

Simon

I also am having trouble getting the chart to print - both the Pedigree chart and the Ancestor chart with the boxes. For the Pedigree Chart it will show up on the screen preview and I can then print it out and play with it (scan it and then convert to pdf and then email it). for the Ancestor chart, if I do it in screen preview I get all the boxes (lots of boxes) but no data. If I try to save the Ancestor Chart, it will save to Word but the file is corrupted. If I try to save to pdf it runs and runs and runs....then the file is unreadable.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Well, I feel dumb. Went into the options on the Ancestor chart and found it had been checked for blank form. No wonder no data. However, my problem still exists with the Pedigree Chart - cannot save it to file.

Carolyn

Carolyn -

Re the Pedigree Chart on the Report menu (not a VCF chart) . You should be able to save that report to any of the Save options with no problems. For PDF, you do want to make sure you have the PDF printer installed (File / Printer setup), and if you still have problems, try resetting the report defaults - using the Reset Defaults button under the configuration name.

With VCF charts, your only Save options in the created chart are as a .vc2 chart file.. You can save as a .jpg if you use the Save to: destination (not viewing the chart). You also have options using File > Export in the VCF chart to save the file as an image file. You can also, in VCF, print to one of the free PDF Printers - like CutePDF or PDF995, to get a pdf file. Let us know if you want help with that.

Virginia