Macken

Help Needed Recovering JPC File

Hi. I'm new to the forum and to Master Genealogist. I have a trial copy and started to enter data. I assumed my data would be saved when I closed the program. It did indeed create a JPC file with my project name. However, when I went to reopen and continue my work later in the day the program said it did not recognize my JPC file. It did not give me the option of going to "Last". I had to use the "Search" option. It found the file but would not open/recognize it. I tried creating a new project and it worked fine and will reopen. So now I have two JPC files. One will open and one won't. How can I recover the contents of the JPC file that won't open?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm learning more about this program little by little!

Welcome to TMG and to the forum! Note that the extension for a TMG project is .PJC (for 'project') - not JPC.

A project consists of 80 or more files, each database file beginning with the name you gave the project. One file in the project has the .PJC extension and is used by TMG to open the project. Can you find a file with the name that you gave the project plus the extension .PJC ? .

Virginia

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I can see many files with my project name. The files have several different file extension names (e.g. .CDX, DBF). One file has the extension .PJC (for project :) ).

It says:

"The file C:UsersAndrewDocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8ProjectsTMG Family History__.PJC does not appear to be a valid PJC file!"

You might try copying that project and giving it a new name. Open TMG with the Sample project, and use the File / Copy option. After you select that project to copy, give it a new name where you have that option on the next screen. Try a simpler name with no spaces in it - like FamilyHistory. See if that makes a difference.

Virginia

I cannot rename the project using TMG because the file will not open in that program. I tried that unsuccessfully. I also tried manually renaming all of the related files in the source file folder but that did not work either. I still get a message staying that the file/s do not appear to by valid PJC file/s. I think that the file may have become corrupted somehow. I may have to re-enter all of the data into a new project file and start over. Fortunately I will have lost only a few hours of work. However, it concerns me that this might happen again. I wouldn't want to enter all of my genealogy data into a project and then find it cannot be accessed.

The only way to rename a project is from the File menu in TMG, using Copy or Rename. You cannot manually rename the files. It is likely that the only file that is corrupt is the .pjc file. This is a simple text file with information on your project. It does not contain your data. If you contact Support they may be able to repair that file. To contact Support, in the Sample project, go to Help / Message Manager / Outgoing (tab at top) / Send an email. Describe your problem and include the error message: "The file C:UsersAndrewDocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8ProjectsTMG Family History__.PJC does not appear to be a valid PJC file." You can attach a copy of that .pjc file to your message.

Virginia