Robert Jacobs

Role selection error

I want to set the default roles for the marriage tag. I open the master tag type list, select the "Marriage - CTRL-M" tag, open the "roles and sentences" tab and click on (say) "bride." I immediately get an error message: "Variable 'ENGLISH' is not found. 41 TAGTYPEDEFINITION.mTRANSENTROLE"

Is there a known problem here? What would be the repair?

Thanks for any assistance..

Robert

After much to-do, I have discovered that the three "STRINGS" files (.dbf, .CDX, and .fpt) were missing from c:program dataTMG8. (I am running TMG 8.08 under Win8 on an x64 machine)

When a "repair" reinstallation of TMG 8.08 made no difference, I restored copies of the "strings" files from my laptop machine. The error message cited in my previous post no longer occurs, but TMG starts very much more slowly than before and there is also a considerable wait when I select the Marriage tag to be edited.

Does TMG write to STRINGS.CDX, strongs.fpt and strings.dbf? All three from the laptop are dated March 22, 2013 and I am not sure that they are consistent with the database on my desktop machine. I have run VFI & optimize at least half a dozen times since this problem struck, and no errors have been found. I also tried reindexing, but it seems not to make a difference.

I am still hoping for some counsel. Good wishes to all.

Robert

Robert -

Have you checked your TMG C:Program Files (or C:Program Files (x86)) location for the strings files? You can copy those files to your Program Data folder.

As you know, when TMG first starts after an installation it creates and populates the 3 Data File Storage (DFS) folders, so there are copies of those DFS files in the TMG Program Files folder.

Virginia

Thanks so much, Virginia. I think I have it fixed now. I will probably never know what happened. All strings.* files disappeared from C:Program Files (x86) and from C:ProgramData. Am I correct that these are "seed" files, and that when changes are made to roles or sentences they go into the project *.DBF files?

I can't imagine how they were all erased. I don't monkey around in either of those system directories.

Thanks again for your help -- all good wishes.

Robert

To restore the strings database, delete the shared program data folder. The program will recreate it next time that it is run.

The strings database has nothing to do with the role sentences. Role sentences are stored in the tag type data table.

My suspicion is that you have a damaged tag type memo in the tag type data table.

Dear Jim,

I have restored the shared program database per your suggestion. If I do have a damaged tag type memo how would I discover and repair it? I should add that the original problem -- the error message received when I tried to edit the marriage tag -- has disappeared and all seems normal.

Thanks so much.

Robert

The symptom of a damaged tag type sentence memo is a significant performance hit starting TMG or an error trying to edit a tag type.

If you have no issues now, you appear to be OK.

Many thanks, Jim. I think I had a damaged tag type memo which is now OK. I certainly had the slowdowns until I restored the strings files.

All god wishes.

R.