Sign in to follow this  
coldan

TMG 5 backup fails when restored

A friend of mine recently purchased TMG 8 and complains to me that her TMG 5 backups do not work satisfactorily

I obtained a copy of her backup and on restoring into TMG 8.8 found it went through the process as I expected but the resultant data contained no information.

I then tried to restore her backup into Ver 7 - same result

next step, I reinstalled TMG 5 and restored her data into that - same result

So I got a copy of her data files, opened them into my install of TMG 5.15 - everything worked fine.

so I made a new backup using my install and restored same back into TMG 5.15 using a new folder to house the restored files

- again nothing

The backup file is 330k insize and the picklist shows the original data contains a little more than 300 people.

What I would like to know is, is there another way to get the data into TMG 8 without using Gedcom

Colin,

Have you tried moving the TMG 5 files to a suitable location and just using File>Open with TMG 8? I know v8 will open more recent versions, but I'm not sure about v5. Jim would know better on that score.

Thanks Terry

I tried that, and guess what, it does not work either.

I have since exported her data from TMG 5 as a Gedcom and inported that into ver 8, and showed her the result.

After considering rekeying all of her info into ver 8 she has agreed that editing the Gedcom inport much less work than the alternative. So unless we can find a better solution she is happy to accept the Gedcom method.

Thank you for your input.

Colin

TMG v8 will not open a TMG v5 project. TMG v8 should restore the v5 backup however.

You need to contact Support and send them the v5 project backup

Jim,

He said that v5 won't restore the backup. It would seem that there is a problem with the backup.

TMG v8 will not open a TMG v5 project. TMG v8 should restore the v5 backup however.

You need to contact Support and send them the v5 project backup

Thanks Jim

I agree, but on her computer, I tried restoring the back up she made into a new folder, and got a project with no data as a result.

So I brought her data files home and put on my computer, onto which I then installed TMG 5 which I then updated to 5,15.

It opened her data files as I expected so I made a back up using my copy of 5.15.

TMG 8 will restore that backup, but the resultant data set contains no people

so I restored the same backup back into a new folder using my 5.15 version, and got the same result - no data.

so I then went to the back shed and located an old comp of mine, and smiled when I discovered it still worked.

So I ran TMG 5 and found it updated to version 5.14. , not 5.15 as I expected.

As 5.14, & 5.15 are quite a few years ago, I can't remember why I had not updated to 5.15, and am wondering if there was a problem with 5.15.

Thanks for your input Jim.

Colin

Yes Terry 7 Jim

What concerns me about ver 5.15 is that the 2 backups made in two different installs on 2 different computers (one a fresh install) neither can be restored on the same machine onwhich they were created.

As said earlier the person concerned has accepted the Gedcom import and is currently doing the usual edits normally neccesary after Gedcom inports. As her data contains only a little over 300 people I have not forwarding the backup and bothering Support.

Thank you both for your help to date

Edited by coldan