Bill Martin22

Problem with Tips Hints fonts

I'm using TMG version 8.08.00

I get the Tips and Hints window OK, but the font size is so small I can't read it without a magnifying glass.

How can I increase the font size?

I've searched TMG8 Help; WhollyGenes Forums; WG Support but can't find how to do this.

Thank you for the advice.

-Bill Martin Denver, CO

Hi Bill,

I presume you are talking about the separate window that either pops up when you start TMG, or can be shown by selecting "Tips and Hints" from the Help menu?

I have done some experimenting and have not found a TMG font setting that affects the font size in this window. I suspect that the program is simply using some Windows default, and that you would have to change one of the many Windows font parameters to affect this font size. Maybe some other user will have a better idea, or know what specific Windows setting will affect it.

Bill,

Since my fonts are large enough to read I thought I would experiment some more. I think I found an issue. For some reason have you chosen the TMG setting in Preferences // Program Options // Other // "Use the TMG 5/6 method of window resizing"? When I choose that option the Tips and Hints font is very small. But if I un-check that option, the font size is quite readable. Do you see the same?

Michael, thank you for going to the trouble of experimenting to find a solution.

I did as you said. I DID have the 5/6 box checked...so I unchecked it.

I also increased the font sizes that were options on that screen for the Family, Tree and Prompts Views.

Went back and selected Help>Tips and Hints, but I still had the tiny font.

So I shut down TMG and restarted....no luck, I still have the tiny font.

-Bill

Bill,

Just in case (I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy :D ) when I make changes in Preferences I always do an "Apply" before changing to another Preferences menu option. Probably not required, but you might go back and look and be doubly sure that the 5/6 option really got unchecked? Otherwise, I don't have any further suggestions.

I looked...the 5/6 box has NO check mark in it. But the font in the Tips and hints box is still tiny.

I also searched the Windows 7 [my OS version] website for font instructions.

Pretty sparse and what there is relates solely to Windows displays NOT to programs running under Windows7.

Well, shucks. But thanks for helping, Michael.

-Bill

Bill -

I spent some time with the Magnifier and it works really well. I put the Magnifier in the task bar - toward the middle - and I moved one of the Tips close to the bottom and the middle of the screen - near the Magnifier icon. Often those windows will remember their location and open in the same place, which makes it even more convenient to use the Magnifier. It is simple then to click on the Magnifier icon and move the cursor to the Tip window. To exit the Magnifier, use the Windows logo key + Esc. There are more Magnifier shortcuts here.

I found it simple and very helpful. You might want to check it out -

Virginia

Thank you, Virginia....Your suggestion certainly helps. I can now see well enough to use TMG.

I just discovered that not only are my Tips and Hints fonts reduced to "tiny", but on the Person, Detail screen,, the Tag Entry [small box display] for each Census entry has been reduced to the same tiny size.

It wasn't like that a couple days ago - but i don't know what I did.

So, until I find out where I messed it up, I'll use the Magnifier. Much better than going blind trying to read these screens.

Thank You!!

-Bill

Bill -

You may want to experiment with the 5/6 method of window resizing; that enlarges the font with the window. It does not work with all windows, but may help (it does not help with the Tips). The 5/6 option is in Preferences / Other.

Next go to the Roots Users Group of Arlington (RUG) site here and download their list of where to change font sizes in TMG and what windows are affected. Some of the settings offer minimum and maximum font size options. When you get to their site, click on Downloads in the top group of blue bars on the left. The article is 'TMG Font Sizes'.

Virginia

Bill, following copied from Help, topic "Program Options: Other"

The standard method of window resizing is that text remains the same size and that data entry/display space increases/decreases when a window size is increased/decreased. This is how the windows in most Windows™ applications work. The base font size for lists is set using the Minimum font size setting on the Program Options: Lists screen and the base font size for the Project Explorer is set using the Font size setting on the Program Options: Project Explorer screen.

When using the TMG 5/6 method of window resizing, the font size increases/decreases in list windows when the window size is increased/decreased. The range of the font size change in these windows is controlled by the Minimum font size and Maximum font size settings on the Program Options: Lists screen.

This should make it clear that the font size setting in "Program Options: Lists" will have an effect on nearly all TMG windows whether using the method from the old version 5 and 6, or the more modern default method. With either method if the sizes in other windows have changed. look to those font settings first, plus the other Preference settings referenced in the document mentioned by Virginia.

However, I still cannot figure out how to affect the Tips/Hints window.

Michael and Virginia...thank you both for all the help and education you given me on font size.

I now know a LOT more about TMG and font control than I ever knew before. I've already used it to spruce up

some displays which I'd been having trouble reading.

And, while font control specifically for Tios and Hints still eludes us, the Magnifier suggestion is a good work-around.

My best to you both.

-Bill

If you still want to permanently (it can be reversed) increase the size of the font in the tips box this will work but you may need to resize some of the other fonts in TMG as a result.

Control Panel
Appearance and Personalization
Display - Make text and other items larger or smaller
Choices are Smaller - 100% (default), Medium - 125% and Larger - 150%
Apply

Hope this helps.

Susan Moore

Susan, many thanks for your advice - it worked perfectly.

Windows7 Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Display >Larger 150%

You were correct, I then had to resize [reduce the font size] for some of my TMG displays - but the education I got from Virginia and Michael the past few days, on how to do that, did exactly what I needed.

I'm back in business. My best to you.

-Bill Martin Denver, CO

Glad to hear this worked for you, Bill. For other users following this thread, it does seem to reinforce the assumption that this particular font is wholly based on Windows font controls, and thus any changes must be done in Windows.