gydancer

Timeline Between Tree Names?

I see how to create a timeline between a person and recorded historcal events. But is it posible to create a timeline between members of the same tree? In otherwords (to keep it simple) if I have the name john with dob, mar. date, and dod, and I have the same data for mary, and frank and jane and uncle sammy, etc., is there a way to create a graph or bar chart so I can get a clear picture of how their life events relate to one another?

I feel that it would be easier to determine if there is a conflict when it shows that john married mary when he was 10 and she was 19. Maybe there is another part of the program that brings this to our attention in a diferent way?

I hope this makes sense ...........

tnx ~Gydancer

Try the Audit report. From Help: "The Audit Report, also known as the "sanity checker," searches a selected group of people for user-defined characteristics which signal a possible error in the data."

You can add your persons of interest to a Focus group and run the report on that group.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia......looks like I have a long road ahead of me on this one. After checking it out, it looks like this is for the "advanced" user. Way over my head with what to fill in for parameters and filters.

I think I'll just create a spread sheet where I can list the names and dates of events on contrasting lines with dates of occurence in columns, to be able to make comparisons. I'm surprised that as sophisticated as TMG is, that it does'nt have this kind of feature.

Thanks for the advise.......eventually I may find a way for the sanity checker to work for me.

~gydancer

gydancer -

Actually the process is simple and straightforward using the Focus Group (see tips below) and the default settings in the Audit report. With those default settings, here are some results from one of my projects:

William Winans Bartlett (273)
Born after father was 60 years old.

Gilbert Hogan (165)
Death when LIVING flag is not equal to N

Sarah Mills (245)
Death after age 100 years.

Harriet Enah Pettibone (267)
Birth after non-birth events.

Odell Long Whipple Jr. (17)
Born before father was 16 years old.

Charles Emmons Woodward (144)
Birth after mother's death.

Edmund Harrison Woodward (143)

Mary Theresa Woodward (136)

Tips for using a Focus Group:

The people you add in the focus group are determined by who is selected. If you want to add just one person's Ancestors, Descendants, or Spouse - select just that one person. If you want to, for example, add spouses to everyone, use the Select All button to first select everyone and then tick Spouses and the Add Others button. You can use the Save button to save that group with a name for future use, or - say for the Audit Report - use the 'Current focus group option' in the report, or - if you have saved and named the group for future references - use the down arrow to select that focus group. There is a video (no audio) of the process here.
Virginia

Virginia, when I select Audit, under Reports, I get a different dialog box than the video on your link shows: the vidio shows a box titled Fucus Group, the one I get says Report Definition Screen - Audit. I can't seem to find my way from there to Focus Group.

Do you think help for this sort of question will be available on the upcoming cruise, because I seem to be a bit dense in this department (although I've been active with computers since 1984).

I really appreciate your help - it has introduced me to some other apects of the program, as I experiment.

~gydancer

Create your Focus Group first - Virginia's video shows you how

post-395-0-40384900-1376692043_thumb.jpg

In Report Definition screen choose Focus Group activate dropdown menu and choose Current Group

post-395-0-25181600-1376692101_thumb.jpg

Edited by ggilbert1

The Focus Group is one of the windows that you can open in your layout. Go to Windows on the top menu in TMG and click on Focus Group. I usually have the Project Explorer open in my layout, but if I want to use the Focus Group - as in the Audit report - I can open it in place of the Project Explorer window. Examples below of layout with Project Explorer and layout with Focus Group.

ProjectExplorerLayout.jpg FocusGrouInLayout.jpg

In those layouts, the top toobar is my custom toolbar with custom icons; it includes most of the TMG features I use on a regular basis. The A-Z toolbar on the right side is the Easy Search Toolbar. You can use that in conjunction with the Project Explorer to find people quickly. See the video here

http://www.screencast.com/t/heR4jFN3Ty

In the Audit report you can select a group of people to Audit - and one of the report options is to audit the people in a Focus Group. First you would set up your Focus Group in your layout and then open the Audit report and refer to that focus group for the people you wish to audit. You also have an option in the Audit report to audit everyone in your project - as I did.

I expect you will see many examples on the cruise of ways to use TMG - and many opportunities to ask questions. It sounds like a wonderful cruise at a nice time of year.

Ask if something is not clear.

Virginia