Sign in to follow this  
argothor

Missing exhibits

When I backed up my project in TMG v8.08, it told me I have 12 missing exhibit files. The Last Backup.log file tells me which exhibits are missing, but not the person that exhibit is supposed to be attached to.

Is there a quick simple way to discover who that missing exhibit was supposed to be connected to?

I have far too many people to search through, and while some of the files have pretty file names as to who that file should be associated with, those people are not missing any exhibit files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Roger

You can look at the Exhibit Log, select all exhibits and then filter by Type for images. However you'll then have to look through the results for the frowny face.

Another method would be to get PathWiz, a program that allows you to work with Exhibits and can tell you more about images, and can identify a missing image.

I've used a file naming technique for many years now so that if I lose an image the VFI report will tell me who/or what source the image is attached to through the file name itself.

Hope this helps

Dave O.

Still have no answer to my original post. Dave O.'s response shows me the exhibits that are missing, but not who they were assigned to. I already knew which exhibits are missing from looking at the Last Backup.log report.

When I view the Last Backup.log file I see, in part, the following:

* Missed Exhibits *
image >116 - K:\The Master Genealogist v8\Exhibits\page 1A.jpg
image >121 - K:\The Master Genealogist v8\Exhibits\page 1B.jpg
image >123 - K:\The Master Genealogist v8\Exhibits\page 2B.jpg
image >124 - K:\The Master Genealogist v8\Exhibits\page 2A.jpg
image >141 - K:\The Master Genealogist v8\Exhibits\page 1A.jpg
image >148 - K:\The Master Genealogist v8\Exhibits\page 2A.jpg
These imagines are census pages. Originally all census pages were stored just under the Exhibits folder, but that was getting too unwieldy so I created subfolder hierarchy as show below:
Exhibits
Census
Year of Census
State
County
Township
I have multiple census year folders, one each for each Federal census - 1790, 1800, 1810, etc, as well as when there were state censuses outside of the Federal census years and then a subfolder under the year for each state I have census data for, for example in 1850, and I have census data from each of the following states: California, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Wisconsin. So each of those states has a separate folder under 1850. The same goes for counties of each of those states and townships for each county. And then the file name is just the page number of the census record. And since I use this folder structure it is easy for there to be multiple files with the same name that are in different folders.
However apparently when I moved the files to the newer folder structure I didn't get all of the exhibits changed beforehand for all the events for all the people. And since I have 95,627 people, 135,181 events and 18,282 exhibits there is no way I can manually look at each person or event in a timely manner to see if it is missing an exhibit.
Is there a way to cross reference the information from the Last Backup.log so I can figure out who those missing exhibits belong to? If so, how?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Roger

If all exhibits have unique filenames, run Validate File Integrity using the recursive feature and any missing exhibits will be relinked when the files are found. On the 'List of Folders for Location', add _only_ the path of the base of the folder tree and click the [search in subfolders] button to enable the recursive search.

If all exhibits that should be currently linked are in the tree, they should be relinked.

If the image editing features of the Exhibit Log have been used, there can be a missing exhibit if the backup file from the editing no longer exists.

Thanks Jim. That and downloading John Cardinal's TMG Utility did the trick.