Ann

Error creating reports

Dear Support Crew

I suddenly seem unable to create a screen preview of any reports. When I click on Create reports from the Report Definition Screen there is a series of pop-up boxes which flash rapidly on and off, one of which is red, and then a final pop-up box with "File successfully exported to C:USERSANNAPPDATALOCALTEMPTEM6840063371172859.rtf"

I tried updating to the latest version of TMG to no avail. I have run all the maintenance files. Have rebooted. Have not yet restored from backup. Is there a file that I can replace?

In the last week I have installed GedStar Pro for my new android tablet.

Thanks for any suggestions

Ann

Ann -

Not having the PDF printer installed can cause some problems with the preview. That option is on the File menu / Printer Setup / Install PDF printer.

Also try resetting the report defaults - using the Reset Defaults button under the configuration name.

It is not a problem with your project, so there is no need to restore - and should not be a problem with your installation if you installed to the default locations.

Virginia

Hi Virginia

I have Whollygenes PDF writer V4 installed and have tried restoring report defaults to no avail. I tried going to install PDF printer and have the message that it is already installed. If I ask for a pdf report that works OK, it is the screen report that seems to be the problem.

Thanks

Ann

Hello

I have a very similar problem to Ann with screen previews of any report. They used to show fine, but now all I get is a series of pop-up boxes which flash rapidly on and off, the last of which is red. The red box appears very briefly and I can only read "100%" in the text of that box.. I would be grateful if you have any other suggestions what might be the cause. Am running TMG version 8.08 on Windows 7 64-bit. with TMG data held on a RAID array.

Are there any pertinent error messages in the error.txt file in your Logs folder (to locate Logs folder: top menu > Help > Access folders). Note the Logs folder must remain in the default location.

After you create the report, have you checked the taskbar to see if there is an icon there for the Screen Preview?

Do you have more than one monitor and could the preview be appearing behind something on the other monitor?

Virginia

Hi Virginia

There is an error document in the Logs folder. It contains:

16-05-2012, 19:42:51       1925Unknown member ROTMPOBJ.          9 MENUOBJTMG.MADDTAG16-05-2012, 19:42:54       1925Unknown member ROTMPOBJ.          9 MENUOBJTMG.MADDTAG16-05-2012, 20:15:33       1925Unknown member ROTMPOBJ.          9 MENUOBJTMG.MADDTAG15-07-2012, 18:16:17       1925Unknown member ROTMPOBJ.          9 MENUOBJTMG.MADDTAG15-07-2012, 18:16:33       1925Unknown member ROTMPOBJ.          9 MENUOBJTMG.MADDTAG30-08-2012, 16:46:39       1925Unknown member ROTMPOBJ.          9 MENUOBJTMG.MADDTAG30-08-2012, 16:46:45       1925Unknown member ROTMPOBJ.          9 MENUOBJTMG.MADDTAG

There is no icon in the task bar for the screen preview.

I only have one monitor.

Thanks

Ann

Hello Virginia

I have a shorter error document in the Logs folder, which contains:

16-07-2013, 17:30:31 1234Subscript is outside defined range. 5 FRMEVENTS.CNTPARENTCHILD1.CNTPARENT.CMBNAMESEL.MSETNAME

There is no icon in the task bar for the screen preview. I do have two monitors, but there is nothing showing on the second monitor.

I don't know if it is relevant, but every so often I get the 'structure version missing' error message when starting TMG (at a guess once every 20 or 30 starts) - which clears on a second start (when TMG appears to be rebuilding indexes).

Many thanks

Nigel

NIgel -

In a normal preview, the red box with 100% appears in the middle of the screen when the Progress box reaches 100% and just before the preview opens. The box label says 'Converting' and 100% appears on a red background.

ReportFrame2.jpg

I would try running TMG by itself, no other programs, opening it on the primary monitor and testing a report from there.

And - I have no idea whether it makes a difference, but in Preferences / Program Options / Other / Allow Multiple Monitors, reverse whatever you have now for that option (tick or untick). From Help: "When this is not checked, window positions are corrected if they are off the visible screen. When checked, the windows can spread across multiple monitors.".

Re the 'structure version' error when opening the project. That may just be a small glitch as the program opens with the project. You might try using the Welcome Window to open TMG and then select the project. It is a little more orderly process and might avoid some of those little glitches.

Virginia

Hello Virginia

Many thanks for your very helpful suggestions. I tried the multiple monitor setting, which provided a partial fix - the reports with a graphic output (e.g. Fan Chart) then started to display, but those with a text output (e.g. Narrative or Kinship previews) still stubbornly did not display.

However, you provided the clue, and I did find a fix that seems to work. Remembering advice on this forum for (I think) printing issues, I cleared all other programs and then ran TMG as administrator. That, unexpectedly, caused a dialogue to appear requesting that I register TMG. So I re-entered my details and serial number and re-registered TMG8. Since then, all the previews display correctly, even when TMG is not run as administrator.

Nigel