Elderflower

Uninstall problem

Today I have tried to install v8 UK edition onto a second computer to use in case my main computer fails. It is running Windows 7 32 bit. I got as far as installing it from a CD copy I made when I first bought this version. I then restored my project files and it was definitely showing on the computer. I then forgot to close down and reboot before going into help and searching for updates - which were found. Of course I had the installer problem many people have also had. No problem I thought, I will follow the instructions on here and uninstall everything and start afresh. However, TMG is not showing up in add/remove programmes and there appears to be no uninstaller included in TMG.

Did my attempt to upgrade the original TMG 8 result in it being uninstalled as the TMG icon has disappeared from the desktop and it will not open from the programme menu? How do I uninstall so that I can start again from the beginning? I installed originally from my CD as I could not find the latest v8.8 in the UK edition on the Wholly Genes website.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Pat

Hi Virginia

That's the thread I was following but it does not tell me how to uninstall the initial installation of TMG 8. Perhaps I am missing something? Can I just delete all the TMG folders and files without going through uninstall? I think that would cause me more problems.

Pat

Pat -

The program has effectively been uninstalled, not appearing in the Control Panel - but left behind many remnants. The installer will not install TMG v8 if it finds any evidence of an existing installation (the remnants). Once you delete those remnants - following carefully the steps in Jim's thread - the installer should work. I had to go through the same exercise myself - and it worked.

Virginia

Have spent a few more hours on this problem and I do now have a working v8.8 on my Windows 7 computer.

A few observations made whilst going through the process:

I searched for all files, folders etc. with the name TMG or The Master Genealogist and deleted them all. I used the search from the Start bar and also Explorer to make sure I had everything.

I then downloaded what turned out to be TMG version 8.8 from the link given by Jim in his thread mentioned by Virginia. During the install it appeared that there was an installation already present because it was deleting files and overwriting others. Eventually TMG was installed and the license key was already showing. This must have been picked up from the installation of v8 I did yesterday before the aborted upgrade to v8.8. So, my conclusion is that the programme was not uninstalled. All is well however, as it works like a dream.

During the installation and configuration I made a note of a window that opened with the heading 'Amyuni Document Converter'. This had a short list of items but one was "Launch 'Install-u' to uninstall". I have made a note of that in case of future need.

Also noted that the TMG I use everyday on my Win 8 machine is also not showing up in Control Panel/Programmes/Uninstall. I wonder why this is?

Anyway - a happy outcome and thankyou again Virginia for your advice. I hope my comments might help someone else.

Pat