Sandy Clunies

USB Transfer TMG7 to netbook

Want to copy TMG7 program files + one project over to a netbook (with only USB drives) for one event - then I promise to upgrade to V8 ! But there are 18,000 entries done over 5 years in this project and deadlines are looming. I copied all the files I could think of from the desktop to the USB to the netbook. But where/what are the filenames to actually RUN the program on the netbook? HELP!

TMG installation is a complex process. You need to use the TMG7 installer and install the program on the netbook. You cannot copy over the 'program' files.

Thanks, Jim. Have had 7 on my desktop since release! Where do I find the TMG7 installer? Have to do everything with a USB drive on the netbook, or dopwnload from the web. I still have the 20 Apr 2008 email with the serial number - shall try that!

OK - MOST everything worked out! Program installed and opened. And a .sqz backup installed. Only glitch was when I entered my ancient serial number - it rejected it and said I had a 30-day trial! Now that takes me to Oct 23rd and I really only need this on the netbook Oct 18-20! But that is cutting it rather close! I guess I could call Tech Support and get help - or drive up to the office and surrender myself (only a 30 min drive!) Dorothy is making 20+ charts for me this week, so maybe I will show up in person!

All four parts have to be entered exactly as in the registration email... first name, last name, email address, registration number. One reason for failure is entering a current email address rather than the correct one for unlocking.

Sandy -

A handy source for your registration information, including registration number and email address, is the Trouble Report on the Help menu in your project: Help > Technical Support > Trouble Report (button at lower left).

Virginia

Hi Victoria/Sandy

I have had this problem for some time now with V7.04 on Windows 8, so I tried the trouble report route. This is showing the same email address as the one I now use. Should it show the original email address I used to install the original version 4 program with?

If so, I don't know what that was..............

I just re-enter the registration info each time I notice that the months trial info appears whenever I start the program.

Danny.

Danny -

I question whether your problem is related to your initial registration entry or perhaps to a problem with TMG and Win8. The problem of loss of registration between TMG sessions when using Win8 has been reported in early versions of TMG v8; it has since been fixed. I have not heard of the problem in TMG v7, but Jim will be able to advise you on that. Have you considered upgrading to TMG v8?

Virginia

Unlocking a TMG7 installation requires four pieces of information that came in the TMG7 registration email.

First Name

Last name

email address

registration number

If you don't have those four pieces of information, contact Support and they will give them to you.

If you unlock with the correct information and have problems with the program 'relocking' and requiring that you unlock it again (repeatedly), there might be one of two problems... a registration issue or, if you are running Windows 8, there is a problem caused by Windows 8. The fix for the Windows 8 issue is here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=15310

Hi again, thanks for the responses.

I will try the Win 8 fix........if I can remember how to edit the registry!

BTW TMG is installed on my office computer, home computer and laptop: all now running Win 8 and all with the same problem.

Will let you know how I get on.

Danny -

Some people have been able to resolve the problem by right-clicking on the TMG desktop icon and selecting Run as Administrator. Do this one time only! If it is not a permanent fix after one try, use the registry fix.

Virginia