Sign in to follow this  
melliott

iPad app

The best solution is to load a Second Site build onto the iPad.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/TMG/2013-09/1379947044

At the moment, I'd think that a TMG iPad app would appear to be very unlikely unless written by an independent developer. And there is little market to justify the time and effort to write such an app.

Glenn, thanks for pointing me to this topic.

This app I refer to is "GedFamilies". What is does is take a Gedcom file and transfer it to an Iphone, Ipod touch or Ipad. The first release was 29Nov2012 with the latest version 7may2013. I requires a free companion program on the PC to convert the Gedcom file to an SQL. Supports wireless or USB transfer. The USB transfer (not sure of wireless) utilizes Itunes software. I was amazed at how fast it transferred my 1200 tif images along with the 2200 people's worth of data. Makes a nice way to carry around the database when doing research.

What is does is take a Gedcom file and...

Yes, Joe, but any use of a Gedcom file as a transfer mechanism will "lose very much in translation".

The Gedcom standard is so very old now, that due to its outdated limitations it simply cannot express many of the useful features of a modern genealogy software package like TMG. While Gedcom can be useful for transferring the basic BMDB data, for anything beyond that it is simply too limited. I agree with Jim's earlier recommendation. With Second Site and a standard browser app you can display everything you recorded in TMG, and linkages, and source material, and images.

If you just want the basics Gedcom can work, but if you want all your TMG data I strongly recommend using Second Site. I use it to have my TMG data on my Android handheld and am quite pleased.