RPage6943

Screen Preview Maximizes Spontaneously

I am using TMG V8.08 on a windows 8 PC.

I frequently generate a 'list of citations' report and view the results on-screen.

The report sometimes 'maximizes' to full screen when I click on any portion of the report to to move it.

This seems to occur at random, about half the time I attempt to move the report position on the screen, it behaves normally.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this?

Thanks,

I have no problem with the preview window. I haven't found anything that I can do with the preview window to cause it to 'spontaneously' maximize. It's not exactly clear what it is that you are doing.

Let me describe a typical sequence that can (seemly at random) induce the behavior.

I have a 24 inch monitor and I keep TMG in the right half.

I will generate a report and keep the preview in the lower left side.

I then typically use a browser in the left half to obtain some data (so I can see TMG and the browser at the same time).

At some point in this process I need to view the report again so I click on the icon in the task bar to bring it to the front.

Sometimes it's necessary to move the report window a bit or scoll down so I can read what is behind it etc.

I typically then click in the body of the report if I need scroll down or click and drag on the upper 'handle' area (don't know what that region is called but you know what I mean) if I want to move the window.

On some occasions(about half the time), the report window expands to fill the screen as if I clicked on the 'maximize' region of that upper 'handle' area when I either click on the handle or body area.

I have not been able to correlate this behavior with any specific action(s) I've taken with the browser, downloading files etc.

I just tried it couple of times while generating this post and the report window has behaved normally.

If this has not come up before it seems VERY unlikely that the TMG software alone causes this but I thought I'd inquire in case someone else has run across this annoyance and found the root cause.

I am working with the software now and I will try to note my actions so the next few times I experience the behavior I may have some better idea of what specific actions correlate with the unexpected maximize.

Thanks for the help.

I found a sequence of events that will reliably induce the behavior.

Generate a report.

Click in any region of TMG to return focus to the TMG Appication.

At this point:

Any time I click on the 'handle' region of the report, it maximizes to full screen.

Clicking in the body area or the edges that allow for re-sizing doesn't induce maximization.

If I click on the 'restore' icon of the report it goes back to the original size and at that point I can click and drag the report using the 'handle' area of report as expected - like all other windows.

I found that after returning focus to the TMG app, if I use the icon in the task bar to minimize the report and then click again to restore it on the desktop that I can then drag the report around with the 'handle' - it doesn't in this case maximize when I click in the 'handle' region.

This behavior is very reliable, I repeated it dozens of times. It is not 'content' specific, I made it happen with multiple reports of different types.

Thanks again,

-Ralph Page

You're right, Ralph.

I've been seeing this for a long time and though I was just managing to double-click on the title bar. But it only takes a single click to maximize the preview window when you use the sequence you describe. Thanks for figuring it out. I often do that trying to relocate the preview window and get the results you describe.

Thanks to everyone, especially Terry.

I also initially assumed I was doing something dumb, I'm used to that.

Terry, I have been changing my census sources to match the newer format you adopted so I've been using the report window pretty frequently as I slog through my census data and perform updates. Between your primer and my periodically 'stealing' ideas after browsing your wesite I've gotten lots of help with TMG and second site from you and I appreciate it, thanks.

If I discover the specific sequence that induces maximization when I click in the body I will report that also, that is much less frequent and may be in the 'operator error' category.

-Ralph

In case it is germane, my Windows 8 is 64 bit.

Are all these instances with Windows 8? Ralph is using Win8, Jim - I assume - is. Terry?

I'm not getting it with Windows 7.

Virginia,

No, I'm running Windows 7, and have probably been seeing this since the new report writer came out with TMG 8.0. I thought it was an over-sensitive mouse causing intended double-clicks until now.

I'm using Win8 x64 and only get the issue when clicking on the Preview Screen title bar. I do not get it by clicking on any object in the title bar other than the [Maximize] button. I do not get it by clicking in the Preview Screen workspace.

I'm using Win8 x64 and only get the issue when clicking on the Preview Screen title bar. I do not get it by clicking on any object in the title bar other than the [Maximize] button. I do not get it by clicking in the Preview Screen workspace.

Jim,

I have the same experience - the "auto maximize feature" only happens when clicking on the title bar of the preview screen. I think the reason I've seen it so often is I often want to move the preview aside so I can see both it and some other window, so of course I click on the title bar to move it.