Dan Stone

Question about entering DNA test information

Once I've entered DNA test information, for example a Y-DNA 37 test, is there a way to edit the test information to record more markers when the person gets a test upgrade to a greater number of markers? I currently am entering the new upgraded test results from scratch, as I've found no way to edit the existing test results in TMG to a higher test level. Just wondering if I'm missing an easier way to handle the entering of test upgrades?

If there's no way to edit existing test information to record the upgraded test results, is there anything wrong with just entering all future tests at the 111 marker level to begin with, leaving the untested markers blank?

Thanks for any pointers.

Edited by Dan Stone

You cannot change a given test template design. If you want to keep your options open, the best strategy is to use the test with the most markers as you suggested.

A bit off-topic. Perhaps Jim Byrum might add it to the list of minor bugs -

The TMG Y-DNA template only allows for four entries under Family Tree allele DYS464 (i.e. marker 464a, b, c, and d) , whereas Family Tree DNA reports on up to five entries (i.e. marker 464a, b, c, d, and what should be 464e).

Jim:

I should have said up to five markers for DYS464 from Family Tree DNA for my 67 allele Y-DNA test. I, in fact, have five markers for this allele as reported by Family Tree DNA (12-13-13-13-14) and have no way to enter them all. DYS464 is a strange allele. It does have a variable number of repeating markers. I happen to have five, which I believe is the maximum.

You cannot change a given test template design. If you want to keep your options open, the best strategy is to use the test with the most markers as you suggested.

Thanks for verifying this, Jim.

Jim:

You're right! I do have a total of 68 markers on the 67 marker Y-DNA test. I hadn't noticed that before.

On my first test, I originally had only four markers on allele 464 (12-13-13-14), which I did not question. I, however, had other questions about the test results and so had myself secretly tested a second time under a different name. That test came back with the identical markers, except for allele 464 - which on the second test came out as 12-13-13-13-14. I wrote to them, asking for an explanation. They agreed to run the first sample once again. This time it came out with the five markers 12-13-13-13-14, the same as on the second test. They apologized for the error and agreed to change my first result to show the five markers for allele 464.

TPG,

Attached is a one-shot template for you. 464e has been added to every FTDNA test that includes 464. If you have used any earlier templates, I think that you will need to edit them and push the data down one slot You'll see.

Just replace the FTDNA file in your User Program data folder with this one. (rename the existing one first in case you need to revert the file).

Check this out and see if it works.

Jim

Family Tree DNA.zip

Jim:

I replaced the "Family Tree DNA.dna" with the unzipped new one I downloaded from your link. I first changed the name of the old one. They were in the "C:Program Files (x86)The Master Genealogist v8" folder. When I opened the DNA file in the program, however, I noticed no change what-so-ever. The element DYS464 still only had four markers. What did I do wrong?

By the way, I tried ancestry.com and they allow for five markers under the DYD464 allele.

Tom Giammo

Virginia/Jim:

It worked fine this time - with the correct file changed. By the way, the new template left an open entry at DYS462e and did not require any copying of dna data. Thanks again.

Tom Giammo