Sign in to follow this  
Daryl Edmonds

Merge projects

I've never tried this before but .. . ..

I have put together a family tree for a friend, in TMG, with about 450 people, and have found our trees overlap in at least 3 places. I decided to try merging the two projects. The merging went smoothly and all the merged names appear in the Project Explorer but not in the Picklist.

In TMG Help, under "Merge Projects" it says The data set numbers for individuals in A will stay the same and the data sets in B will be appended to the end of A, their numbers changing accordingly. Perhaps I don't understand the way it works but the numbers of B didn't change, only the prefix changed, as in 5:26.

Is there a way to merge the data so I can merge the two sets of data so they become one?

I should read some other posts before I jump in! I'll read Terry's Tips first, I think, and work it out from there. Looks like it's a bit more complicated than I thought and I probably can't do what I was trying.

One thing I'm interested in doing is having two TMG screens open, side by side. I have two monitors and would like to be able to compare data sets but I haven't figured out how to open two instances of TMG at the same time, or do I need it to be on another computer (laptop)?

Daryl,

You can open the second instance the same way you did the first - from a desktop icon or the start menu. Or, you can open it from the instance you already have open, by choosing the Project you want to open from the File > Open menu or the bottom of the File menu. When you do the latter, when asked if you want to close the current project, just answer No and you will have both open.

When you open two instances you can view the same or different Projects in the two. If you open the same Project in both, TMG will prevent you from opening the exact same data entry screen. For example, if you try to open the same Tag for the same person in both instances, you will only be allowed to open a "read-only" version in the second.