Rosanna

Changeover to V8- Cant produce a descendant indent chart

Using UK Version 8

I just changed over from 7.4 and I cannot do a descendant chart. I get an unknown person and just my name/address details.

I did the same chart in V7 and I got 122 people. I checked the setting and cannot see that I have done anything different. I just changed margins which are great by the way but need to experiment.

I save my descendant indent chart directly to Word and I open the file at the prompt. I don't use focus group or any of these options, Just the line of the one person

Also Word has no version option and a .doc file. Surely this latest 8 version should have .docm??

Can anyone help please.

Rosanna,

There is only one version of the Word output in TMG 8, and it does produce a "doc" file. That means it can be opened in either newer versions of Word or the older ones. There are no macros in the file that's generated, so a .docm wouldn't be appropriate. I suppose you really mean .docx, the normal format for newer versions of Word, but there is no need for that since they can also open files in the older format.

As to why you get an unknown person, I'd guess either you are specifying an ID number that doesn't exist, or you have the surety settings set so that the subject is excluded. For the broadest acceptance, they should be set to No Threshold and Include Bland Surety should be checked.

Hi Virginia

Of course so used to working with macro. yes I meant docx. Also didn't have include blank security ticked, or I did, but may not have saved it.

Sorry, Thank you.

You told me I could not have both programmes running. Should I now delete V7?. Also the wider margin means that the text is running over to the far left into the vertical line. Is there any way that the text can be blocked please?

regards

Rosanna

Hello Terry

Sorry you are right. used to working with macro. I meant docx. Yes I did check blank surety but must have not clicked ok because it wasn't done. Sorry thought I had the same settings.

kind regards

Rosanna -

You can have both v7 and v8 running on the same computer. What I said earlier was - 'Note that you can run both v7 and v8 on your computer, but once you open a v7 project in v8 you cannot open that project again in v7.' I would not be in a hurry to delete v7 - at least for a while. You may find you need a v7 custom layout or toolbar that you did not move to v8.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia

Actually I have done this . I loaded my project onto V8, and I have been going backwards and forwards in both versions checking charts but haven't added data - just looked and printed charts in V8.

Also can you please reply to my question or send me to an article on altering the charts so that they can be blocked?. I tried looking on the forum but obviously I didn't ask the right question. I cant use it with the lines running across to the next line at generation one - vertical line. I should have downloaded a trial but thought I wouldn't get the option of the Gold British version in the trial so bit the bullet. Anyway I couldn't get a big enough margin in version 7.

regards

Rosanna

Rosanna -

Some suggestions I have heard for the indent/blocking problem are to use Landscape orientation, a smaller font, abbreviations for places and/or editing the lines. I am not aware of a fix for the problem.

The only dotted lines I have seen in the DIC in Word are the formatting codes for spaces - and they are horizontal and black, not vertical and red. In the normal (not Print) view in Word, you could try highlighting the area where you see the red dotted lines in Print Preview and then press Shift-F1 to show the Reveal Formatting pane, in case it is a hidden code of some sort. You might also check with a Word forum or support to inquire the possible significance of the red dots.

Virginia

Hi Virginia

I don't like the idea of using landscape it may be hard to read . Yes tried abbreviations etc What about changing the spacing between the generations? If these were slightly closer, and I am talking about vertical lines. it would give a bit more space.

No my lines are not dots they are a solid line. Also you have to turn off hidden text to do the charts, you taught me that. Shift 1 doesn't do anything in print review. Maybe I shoudn't have sent print preview because it is actually the document you see when you go to print - the right of all the printing information. I just want to know if anyone else sees this because I am sure it is my printer. Did you try and recreate this? Once it is in print you cant do anything with the document. .

regards

Rosanna

Rosanna -

I have tested the DIC to MS Word 2010 many times - and have never seen a black horizontal line displaying as red in the Print screen in Word.

Are all of the horizontal lines red in the DIC or just in certain areas of the document? And you do not see this same problem in the TMG print preview? Have you tried saving the DIC as .rtf in TMG and opening it in Word?

Also try resetting the report defaults (Reset Defaults button on the report definition screen under the configuration name) and test that default copy.

If you have your new printer selected in both Word and TMG, I would expect the display to be the same (red lines in both) if it were a printer problem.

Virginia

Virginia I did this answer in word as I tried all the options above. I thought I could paste to this page but I am unable to do so. Is this correct.

regards

Terry you sent a message about charts. However I cant find your message to reply to. I was just taken to Virginia's message.. Virginia is helping me with the charts thanks..

Virginia I did this answer in word as I tried all the options above. I thought I could paste to this page but I am unable to do so. Is this correct.

regards

Rosanna -

I don't see your comments from Word, so they must not have been able to be pasted into your message. Was anything you tried helpful in figuring out what is causing the red-line problem?

Virginia

Hi Virginia

No I didn't send the message because it just would paste or used control v to no avail. I was hoping you had a solution to this. So to cut a long story short I did everything you said but still showing in colour. But the main thing is that when I did RTF and previewed it, it had a coloured line. I have sent the file to someone with a coloured printer and I am waiting to hear back. I just hope it prints black. I still have the message I have saved but surprised I couldn't paste it.

A couple of points from my other report.

No I was not getting dots but a solid vertical line. All had different colours eg purple, green and red. Horizontal lines black. But there was a bit of a problem but wont go into this now. So it appears to be a TMGW problem.

PDF also coloured. In word it was ok. Oh but I found out that in word there were coloured as the document was reduced in size and several different colours. Once it reached 100% it was black!!!

Also do you know if the vertical lines can be changed to be a bit closer.? I think I saw something about this once. Even f I get another 5 letters will be helpful.

Thanks very much. Will let you know if it prints ok.

Rosanna -

The different colored lines at a smaller resolution could be the monitor. Do you have the latest graphics driver for that monitor?

Re more letters per line. I assume you are using the default 8pt Arial font. That is about as small as you would want to go. You can set the margins smaller - to .5 for left and right.

You can get several more lines of text in your report with some changes in Preferences. Starting with the default settings:

Page Options / Graphics line: remove from header and footer

Page Numbers - none

Margins - .5 top and bottom

Less researcher info at end of report; date only perhaps

Fonts / Title: change to 10B (it is 14B by default).

Virginia

Hello Virginia

Thank You very much.

No, this is an old monitor. Never even thought of updating!. I use it instead of my laptop for OH&S purposes. But firstly a chart was sent to someone else and it was ok using the same process I was using to print. No colour was showing up and printed on a coloured printer in black and white. So it must be my own printer or as you suggest the monitor driver. (If I can find it)

I will play with your changes and see what I get. So as far as colour goes I now know that it is not a problem but will still trouble shoot it.

Because the book is going to be very thick I have to have larger margins and it is slightly smaller in height, not much, but I can see that the changes you have provided will definitely make a difference . I will let you know so that you can advise anyone else who may have this problem. It will be next week..

Once again thank you for your assistance. It has been very helpful

kind regards

Rosanna