Kathy McCubbing

TMG v7 for Windows 8

I have just got a new PC with Windows 8 and have successfully installed TMG and have been using it as normal. However, when I want to export a chart or narrative to PDF it will not allow me to do it (I get a series of error messages). I have tried to install PDF printer but that doesn't work and, again, I get error messages. I read somewhere that I needed MS Media Player so I made sure that was installed but the problem is still the same.

Help please!

Is your computer 64-bit? You cannot send TMG v7 reports to a word processor on a 64-bit machine with Windows7. I expect it is the same problem with Windows8. You can download the v8 trial version and see if your reports work in that version. TMG v7 and v8 are independent and you can run them both on your computer.

Virginia

I purchased a new laptop with Windows 7. My desktop uses Vista. I have had V7 on the desktop and it will back-uo from a flash drive into V8 on the laptop. But when I try to transver V8 into the V7, it will not restore. I purchased an upgrade to V8 for my desktop, and it said it was downloaded, but I cannot locate it and V7 is still active. Confusing? You bet!

Both v7 and v8 can be installed on the same machine. They are different programs and are installed in and use different default folders. The TMG8 installer can always be downloaded from the WhollyGenes website. It says 'trial version' but is the correct installer.

Joyce Ann -

I'm not sure what you mean 'transfer v8 into v7'. You can open or restore a v7 project in TMG v8. You cannot open or restore a v8 project in TMG v7. Once you have opened a v7 project in v8, it is converted to v8 and you cannot open it again in v7.

You can have both TMG v7 and v8 installed on your computer. They coexist, and I recommend you keep v7 until you are sure you have all your v7 customizations - like toolbars or layouts - moved to v8.

Did you look in your download folder for the v8 installer (tmg8setup.exe)? If you cannot find the v8 installer, you can download the free trial version and enter your registration information. Your license allows you to install v8 on both your laptop and your computer as long as they are not being used at the same time.

Virginia