gfcoll43

Sharing a partial data set

I am using v8.08

I have followed instructions to create a new project from an existing project (sharing partial data set). Essentially I am trying to separate one large family tree two smaller ones, using a common ancestor as a starting point. Essentially I am trying to share with others, but don't want to share the whole thing unnecessarily. I want all descendants, spouses (living or not), exhibits, etc., to be contained. When I go through the process everything seems to work with the exception that some spouses are not being picked up in the Focus group, and are therefore not transferred to the new project. I am not sure what is wrong.

I think I may have solved or at least answered my own query.

When I initially created the Focus List it contained a number of people descendant from the start person. When I then "Select All" and press "Add Others" more persons were added. I repeated that process until no other persons were being added. Once I arrived at that "complete list", I went through the process of creating a List of People creating a new project under the Secondary Options. This seems to have resolved my issue.

I have either the same or a closely related goal, but perhaps with even less knowledge than gfcoll43.

I would guess that my question is a common concern, but I have searched extensively before posting this and have not found a prior discussion. Apologies if I have missed something.

I am using TMG 8.08 Gold. I have a single project, with a single data set, with about 700 names, that I have created over the last 10-15 years. It includes my own family tree and my wife's family tree, originally for the benefit of our children.

I now want to collaborate with my brother, working only on my side of the family. I would like to provide him all the information I have entered regarding our mutual family, but filter out all data that relates to my wife's family. Ultimately, I would like to import back whatever data he adds over the next several years into the large project, for the benefit of me, my wife, and our chidren.

I have the idea to give him TMG 8.08 Gold as a gift, and then send him a CD with all the data I have accumulated so far as a backup (.SQZ) file which he would then open with the RESTORE command in the File Menu, and begin using.

My problem: how do I create a smaller dataset that excludes my wife's family details?

Thanks to all for any assistance.

The basic process to create a new Project or Data Set is to use the Secondary Output of the List of People Report. You find that under Options on the Report Definition Screen. You create a list of People you want to include in the new Project or Data Set, by use of Filters, a Focus Group, or selecting them in the Project Explorer.

I think think the easiest way to do what you have in mind is to use the Focus Group. I would suggest this process:

1. From your wife's Details screen, make her parents non-primary. That will keep her ancestors from getting included in the following steps.

2. Add yourself to an empty Focus Group.

3. Set the Add Others parameters to add Spouses, Add Ancestors for more generations than exist in your data, and Add Descendants for several generations.

4. Make sure you are selected, and click the Add Others button.

5. Click the Select All button, then the Add Others button again. Note the number of "Names in the group" at the top left.

6. Repeat step 5 until the number of names stops increasing.

This process will pick up all ancestors, siblings, descendants of siblings, spouses of the preceding, parents of spouses, etc. that you may have entered.

Once you have created the Focus Group you can then use the List of People report to create the new Project. Then make the backup as you suggest.

One separate issue to think about with your plan. If your brother adds information, getting that returned and merging with your own data has the potential for creating quite a mess. If he adds people you don't have, you can copy them into your data. But if he adds information about people you already have you will be confronted with an issue. If you simply merge his data with yours, you will have hundreds of duplicate people in the resulting project. Merging them and sorting out the new data will be a huge project. There is no simple way to identify the new data, I'm afraid.

Thank you for what appears to be a thorough and authoritative answer! I will give it a try. You have also convinced me that, at least for the present, trying to merge work by different people is more than I should shoot for.

Thank you for great help,

rwagner

Hi Freddy,

Thank you for your comment.

I don't think that solution would work for me, for 2 reasons.

1) I am not a real fan of putting all my data "in the cloud". I start to worry re: privacy concerns. I'd rather share data within the family by exchanging compact disks, DVD's, or flash drives.

2) In general, I'm not sure that all my wife's distant cousins would like me sharing information about them with my brother's wife's distant cousins. I think there needs to be a way to share only part of the large amount of family information that I am central in, with various relatives in different parts of the family tree. I only want to share the part that applies directly to them.

I agree with Terry's warning above about merging. Further, I think sharing the same database is also looking for trouble. Two different people will have very different data-entry methods, styles, and levels of rigor in accuracy. Mixing them in the same database can lead to confusion, errors, and trouble. I highly recommend first defining a subset as Terry describes. Then either create a set of SecondSite web pages or a report to send to those family members and ask them to send you back any changes, corrections, or additions they might have. Finally enter their information "your way" in your database.