Sign in to follow this  
MrsGenealogy

Importing from Legacy 8.0

After two days of attempting to import my very large file from Legacy, I am here to ask for help. When I exported a smaller Gedcom (a few hundred people) and imported it as a gedcom it worked fine. But the larger files seem to fail, no matter what I do. I've tried just about everything I can think of. When I do the Import from Legacy, I follow the wizard, it starts the import. Then I get in the top right of the screen "gbSource() DLL Syntax error" which seems to flicker so it might be happening over and over. This at 18% on the top line and 1% on the bottom line where it says "Importing people and names". I'm going to ignore that and going to wait it out this time since I have no other options. But I fear that in the end I'm going to have some sort of error in the file? I guess I'll see in a couple hours....Maybe its nothing?

When I import a larger sized gedcom it gives a variety of weird errors and doesnt import anything at all. (at least it does this almost right away, rather than a 2 hr wait) Any suggestions? It is really painful to remake the GEDCOM from Legacy, as it takes 2 hrs. I've tried a Gedcom 5.5.1 (which is what worked on the smaller file) and also a Legacy Gedcom.

First of all, there is a bug in the import of a Legacy file using TMG v8.08. That issue has not been fixed yet.

Second... Legacy 8 has had many structural changes and the TMG import has not been updated to deal with those changes. I would not be surprised if the import has various errors once it is fixed.

That leaves you with doing a GEDCOM export from Legacy and importing that. You should probably select to export for GEDCOM 5.5.1 (although TMG only supports GEDCOM 5.5).

I can't address your problems with importing the large GEDCOM without testing your file.

Update... The FTM/Legacy import bug has been automagically fixed somewhere between two beta builds that I just tested. Hopefully, the FTM and Legacy imports will work correctly in the next release version.

And as I suspected, you cannot import a Legacy8 database. You get this error...

28/01/2014, 17:29:30 2027Declare DLL call caused an exception. 962 GBMAIN

That's an error in the GenBridge import module and I would think that the error is the result of the structural changes in the Legacy8 database.

Edited by Jim Byram

any idea when the next release version will be?

When I try a GEDCOM import, I get "detecting length of gedcom lines....

"Variable "LEVEL" is not found 0 GEDIN" if I click ignore "Variable "CRI" is not found 0 GEDIN" if click ingore "Variable "TAG" is not found 0 GEDIN" if click ignore goes to the import step 3
goes to step 4....the after creating the necessary tables to 100% or so "OLE error code 0x8002000a. Out of present range. 5465 UPDTERM
"========= The Master Genealogist v 8.08.0000 GEDCOM Listing File ==========
Import of C:UsersKristinaDesktopmiratag9.ged
Errors (*) and Warnings:
Line #
-----------
* 1 ERROR : Missing trailer.
Note that TMG routinely ignores the following types of information
during an import:
Family Numbers
Family Changed Date
Source Changed Date
The file you are reading is saved as : C:USERSKRISTINADOCUMENTSTHE MASTER GENEALOGIST V8PROJECTSMIRATAG9TRY_.LST"
and a blank database. Any clues what I could do to fix that? The GEDCOM is between 300-350 MB. Today I tried to import a gedcom which contained about 150,000 people and it went thru fine. There were errors, but of the sort i would have expected (and can live with). All these gedcoms are being generated by me from the same Legacy database.
Edited by MrsGenealogy

Note that TMG routinely ignores the following types of information during an import:

Family Numbers
Family Changed Date
Source Changed Date

Of course. TMG doesn't support any of those data types.
The next version is not going to resolve your import issues.
I suspect that the GEDCOM import failure for the large file is some sort memory limitation.
You can work around this by breaking the import into several smaller chunks as you have been doing. Create groups of people with minimal links required to tie them back together and then merge the imports and remake the connections.