snookybb

Locked versus unlocked

Hello!

I hope I am in the right place. I have downloaded the Version 8 Trial and used the defaults for my data import.

I think most of it came through alright.

Question...

In using the defaults I chose "Locked" and now I can not edit my information. It says if I unlock it I cannot lock it later. I bought the book "Getting The Most Out of The Master Genealogist" and it briefly talks about the subject, but I'm still confused.

Also, why would you want to lock the database? What is the impact of "unlocking?"

Please advise.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Hello -

I moved your message to the TMG v8 section where you will receive more replies. Re locked datasets, from Help:

"Locked data sets can be viewed, but not changed. This allows you to view data you have received from other researchers without changing the data. To make any changes in a data set, you must first unlock it. Once a data set has been unlocked, it cannot be locked again. Therefore, it cannot be refreshed from the original data set (applies to imported data sets)."
Assuming this is your own project which you will be editing, you will want to Unlock it.
As you start working in TMG, you may also want to customize your workspace. There are guidelines here for customizing your layout (workspace) - and many user examples here.
Let us know if you have any more questions - and welcome to TMG.
Virginia