mwethington

MS Word task report with thousands of pages

[ Really?? this is the 3rd time I am posting this because someone named Jim Byram says he could not read it and then he deleted it... Is the system always reindexing when I post something??? Well, all day yesterday, I could read it everytime I logged in. Also, I saw that it had 51 views..... Wonder why it keeps getting deleted and not answered???? I also called yesterday and left a message and no one has returned my call??]

MY TMG problem

I'm trying to generate a MS Word file with a list of tasks report with the keyword "census."
When I make it a pdf file, it is 5 pages.
When I make it in MS Word, it is over 3000 pages???????
I can't edit a pdf file and do not want a txt file.

In the process, the filter progress states there are 48 instances of tasks with the keyword "census."

TMG has found the word "census" in the "Keyword" field in 48 of my tasks.

I used this field purposely to be able to filter my tasks.

In the Word file, The data is repeated over and over and over again.

TMG is repeatedly spitting out the 48 tasks at least 1000 times into a Word file!!!!!

Therefore I get a Word file that is over 3000 pages long.

Also, I get thousands of pages if I just do a report of tasks and no filter.......

Interestingly, in the MS Word file with thousands of pages, if I edit an item, it is edited in every instance thoughout the document.....

It is practically impossible to edit this file.

This does not happen if I do a different type of report. such as a MS Word report of Citations based on the source number. Nothing is repeated in this output.

I'm using Windows Vista, Word 2007, TMG v8.08

I searched the archives and don't seem to find this.....

I could not read or see your message yesterday either - maybe there was a problem with the forum database that garbled it. A lot of those 51 views were probably me trying to view your posting and getting an error message .

Anyway, it's good to see your message came through today. And also good that the RTF output of the filtered List of Tasks does work and open in Word 2007. If you want to venture into those .doc waters again with the task list, you might try deleting the report definition for the List of Tasks and start with a clean slate. Do you have the same problem with an unfiltered list of tasks?

Word 2007 is a little long in the tooth. Maybe the fact that .rtf works and .doc does not is because of differences in .doc coding in current TMG versions.

Virginia

My purpose for posting here is to at first, no one replied to me on the list. Also I wanted to be sure the company knew about this problem so it could be fixed.

The time you were trying to see my message was my 2nd post. I was able to start a new browser, come to this site several times and view it all day and all evening long..... not sure why the rest of you couldn't.

Also, Virginia's work around will be fine for what I need.

If you notice I did state that "Also, I get thousands of pages if I just do a report of tasks and no filter......."

I have never changed anything in the "report definitions" for any report. What is happening is based on what came with the product. If the report definition that came with the product is bad, then Wholly Genes shoud provide a note about that with directions to fix it maually if that is possible. Dp these things get corrupted? Why would I need a clean slate if I never messed with anything in that section? I did not know about this.

Someone on the list asked what format I used for my messages here that did not post....... Can there be more than one? I typed into this box that is provided by the forum, and pressed the button......

I would very much like to thank Dorothy at Wholly Genes for helping me with the report problem.

She explained to me how to reset the report configuration. It fixed the problem and now I can send my task reports to MS Word and get reasonable results.

Reset report configuration:

click on the reset defaults button on the report definition Screen

Thanks again, Marilyn

That's essentially what Virginia suggested that you do in post #2 of this topic. Resetting or deleting the report configuration both accomplish the same thing.