ladybonita

Project Explorer 'jumping' current person

I am having a problem when working on a person. Either adding an event or deleting an event (mostly deleting), the project manager 'intermittently' will jump to the first person in the current sort. Additionally, when I click on VIEW to go back to the person I was working on (back arrow does not work at this time), the person I was working on DOES NOT APPEAR in the list.

Currently I am merging several duplicates manually. I loaded the duplications (flagged) in focus group. I clear the Project Explorer (maybe have Primary names only) so there is no reason for Project Explorer to jump me to an a different person.

In the Merge module I do not delete marriages ... I wait and do that at the person level to make sure I delete the correct one... so primarily this 'jumping; is happening after a delete marriage.

Any idea what I can do to stop this or is this a 'bug'?

Bonita

What is in the focus group are the duplicates ... the PE has the originals... so yes, I need PE open.

i probably should explain more. The database contains the lineages of over 725 men who completed a Y-DNA for the Wells Surname. I import their gedcoms and flag them as 'new'; .. then I used the flag to put into the focus group and then match them to the individuals in the Project Explorer window. With a database of over 100,000 individuals I can not use the normal duplication program as there are just too many with the same names and approximate dates. I have found it is easier to check for duplicates each time I add a new gedcom. This also ensures that I keep the DNA Families pure and highlight when a desc has a different DNA ...prompts to looks for adoption, etc.

I use Project Explorer continually so this 'jumping' is a problem for me.

Bonita

Bonita -

That sounds like an ambitious project; no wonder the PE jumping around is a problem.

If unlinking the PE does in fact cut down on the jumping, it is a quick extra step in the unlinked PE to switch to the selected person:

In the PE - Leftclick / Rightclick / C

Leftclick (selects person) - Rightclick (opens menu) - press C on keyboard to change to that person

I use the mouse to leftclick / rightclick - then press C (lowercase is fine) with my other hand.

Virginia

I will try that. However, I still find it weird that even though I am working on an individual (and it jumps) that if I pull down the VIEW, it does not list the last person I worked on. I have to go back to the focus group and go to the last person I selected ... sometimes I have worked on that person (changed flag at a minimum), then selected their spouse to see if there are any duplicates for them when it jumps ... but the view will not list the last two people.

Yes it is a huge project but it has been very helpful to researchers that the DNA results match a specific DNA Family ... to be able to see where there may be a connection to an individual or to a location helps their research efforts.

Bonita