Sign in to follow this  
ebixby

Upgrade from v6.12 to v9 and Windows XP to Windows 8.1

Hello,

I am not an actual TMG user so bear with me here. My mother has been using TMG for as long as I can remember. She is currently using Windows XP and v6.12 Gold Edition of TMG. We would like to upgrade her to a new computer with Windows 8, what with Windows XP going end of support in April of 2014.

She is worried about losing her data in the upgrade. After her last upgrade (to version 6) I guess there were some inconsistencies between records so I'm trying to be extra careful. One of her projects has over 65,000 records. I've seen data lost in translation during db upgrades and I know how important this is to her so I want to make sure this can be done without messing anything up.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like all I'll need to do is backup the current projects (which she does often anyway), purchase TMG v9, install it on the new Windows 8 machine, and then restore the .sqz file to her new TMG installation. I'm just worried the versions are too different for this to work, or if you can actually do a direct upgrade across 3 major versions.

Am I on the right track here? If so, are there any other intermediary steps involved, and will there be any issues between versions (like will the fields in each record match up exactly)?

Thanks for any help!

Eric

You proceed as you describe. The program will update the restored v6.12 projects to the current version. The fundamentals of using the newer program will, for all purposes, be the same.

The user data will be located under the Documents tree rather than in the program folder. TMG9 will deal with this when restoring the projects. I'd suggest putting different projects in subfolders under the projects folder. Exhibits will go to the exhibits folder by default. Once TMG9 has been installed and is running, read the Data File Storage topic in Help to see how the program allocates data storage.

I'd wait for v9.01 which should be available shortly.