Sign in to follow this  
Amelie

Adoption

I have many adoptees in my family. I want to include them as family members, but I want the relationship to show "No blood relation." I have the parents listed as Father-Ado and Mother-Ado. I have the adoption tag set as primary. But they are still showing up as cousins, etc. How do I change this?

TIA

Amelie

If you have primary relationship tags, the relationships are treated as blood relationships. The relationship tag extension is for your information only and has no effect on how the tags are processed. There is only one type of relationship tag. You distinguish the relationships by other tags such as Adoption. You can make the -Ado relationship tags non-primary and then the person won't show as a child in reports.

Hi Amelie,

Jim has answered your immediate question. There also has been a lot of discussion on both this Forum and on the TMG-L ListServ over the years about recording adoptions in TMG. You might search in both places using the keyword "Adoption" for a large variety of suggestions in dealing with this situation.

I have developed my own custom way to document adoptions within TMG, which I mention in a reply to a Forum question here, and more fully describe in the Sentence Examples Forum here.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Amelie,

As a further note, if you use Second Site for your TMG output, it has an option to include non-Primary relationships in a person's narrative web pages. This may be another way to output what you wish.

Thank you for your help. I'm still confused. But I see a lot of potential in all these suggestions. I just have to figure out the route I want to take.

Amelie

Sorry to hear, Amelie, that you are still confused. If you could describe in more detail what you want in your output, maybe some of us could make some suggestions.

I played around with all your suggestions (very helpful, btw) and finally got a read-out that worked for my parameters. And I added an accent color to the adoptees to distinguish them, since they are showing up as blood relatives. (Silly TMG.) Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Now to figure what the heck TMG is talking about in the newsletter about the 9.01 upgrade!???

Glad you found the suggestions helpful, Amelie.

As for TMG being Silly, as Jim tried to explain in his first reply, they are showing as blood relatives because YOU assigned the parent/child relationship tag as Primary. That Primary indication is the only way to define a blood parent/child relationship in TMG. The "name" of a parent/child relationship tag has nothing to do with telling TMG that a relationship is blood. If you assign it as Primary, then you are telling TMG the relationship is blood regardless of the name of the tag. It really is that simple.

There has to be a way to single out one pair of parent/child relationships. A child (currently) can have only one blood father and one blood mother. Some user could create multiple TMG "-bio" tags for a child, linking that child to multiple (possible) fathers. Which one among the many is truly the blood father? It will be the one assigned as Primary regardless of the others also having the "-bio" name to the tag. So in your case if you create a "-Ado" relationship tag but assign it as Primary, you are telling TMG to ignore the tag name and consider this parent/child relationship the blood relationship.

Hope this helps explain what you are seeing.