M.A.Waldmann

missing "~" or "tilde"-symbol as abbrev. for baptism

Hello together,

I've just updated to TMG9.01 on Win7.

Now I've tried to create an ancestor box chart through VCF. Everything works fine. But...

...every time the chart show the date of baptism, there isn't the abbreviation-symbol "~" ("tilde")!

I've tried several charts. Only in the charts through VCF this symbol is missed. In the chart-creation directly into a *.jpg-file: no symbol. In text-based reports (without VCF), the symbol is correctly printed.

In the event-definition-screen I've tried to change the symbol to \\u007e, but there's space for only 4 characters.

Please can anyone give me a hint, how to solve my problem?

I hope, that I've described my problem understandable, because english isn't my daily language. :-)

Greetings from Hannover, Germany

Mark

Hello Mark,

yes, you're correct the ~ (tilde) symbol -used in Germany for baptisms- is not showing up in VCF reports.

However, that's not a TMGv9.01 issue, but instead isn't working at least since TMGv7. (I've just verified that.)

As to your question how to fix it: you can't fix it yourself, I am afraid, other than to manually correct / modify the created VCF-chart.

[i'll report this as a bug in order to get this fixed within any future TMG version.]

Edited by Vera Nagel

Thank you for your answer!

...although it isn't SO good for me in the next time.

Meanwhile I've tried other symbols and every symbol has been printed correctly - only the "~" isn't correct. I think it is a problem of communication between TMG and VCF, because in the charts are places for the symbol, but not the symbol itself.

Maybe VCF use the tilde as a command and don't understand it as an "printable character".

You wrote "used in Germany for baptism" - isn't it a international unique understandable symbol?

Thankful greetings from Hannover, Germany! I'll be hopefully patient for the next Patch!

Mark A. Waldmann

You wrote "used in Germany for baptism" - isn't it a international unique understandable symbol?

Good question, Mark. I was reading this thread and wondered about this symbol as an abbreviation for baptism as I had not seen it before, and my research has included some German and Prussian records. A very quick search on Google would "seem" to suggest that this abbreviation symbol is primarily (if not only) used in Germanic records. But I wonder what others have found concerning this?

Hello Michael, Vera and Mark,

Here in Belgium (and The Netherlands) we use = as the symbol for christening or baptism.

An experienced genealogist made a site with all the symbols for many events:

http://www.familiegeschiedenis.be/sites/default/files/Genealogische%20symbolen%20en%20afkortingen.pdf

It is in Dutch but the right column is in other languages.

Mark,

you asked whether the tilde sign isn't an "international unique understandable" character. I am afraid, but NO it is not.

As Harry pointed out (Thanks, Harry) in Belgium and in the Netherlands a different sign is used to indicate a baptism.

In South-Africa for instance a double tilde (wavy equal character) is used instead.

The simple tilde sign is primarily used as a symbol for baptisms in German speaking countries only. As you certainly know and for the benefit of others being interested please also see here:

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Genealogische_Zeichen

Thank you all for your great informations!

BTW: @Vera -> Greetings to Bevern! One branch of my family is living there. And one of the former members was a blacksmith there...but about 50 years ago.

Greetings

Mark

Hello Mark,

you're very welcome.

Re: Bevern..... to move here in 2013 was something like "back to the roots" and we really love to be here. Funny to learn that some of your ancestors originate from this place.... isn't the world small??

Hello Mark,

yes, you're correct the ~ (tilde) symbol -used in Germany for baptisms- is not showing up in VCF reports.

However, that's not a TMGv9.01 issue, but instead isn't working at least since TMGv7. (I've just verified that.)

As to your question how to fix it: you can't fix it yourself, I am afraid, other than to manually correct / modify the created VCF-chart.

[i'll report this as a bug in order to get this fixed within any future TMG version.]

Hello Vera,

in the last few minutes I've updated my TMG to 9.03.

I'm sad about the Information about the end of further versions and ... in my personal case ... that the problem with the tilde symbol (~) had survived in the new version.

I fear I've to learn how to live with the manual correction of every chart with baptism-informations.

Very sad.

Thank you for your help, patience and understanding.

Many greetings to Bevern!

Mark