scotsman

Relationship calculator problem

The relationship calculator correctly calculates the relationship between myself and my grandmother. However, on the details screen it states that she has no blood relationship with me. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried to refresh the relationship tag?

File / Preferences / Current Project Options / Other / [Refresh relationships]

No, relationships are not calculated when you make changes or add new people. You need to periodically refresh the relationship tag to update the settings.

Au contraire! I have the "Automatic Relation Tag" checked on (see Preferences/Current Project Options/Other) and whenever I create a child from a previously identified relative it automatically sets the relationship in the new individual (i.e. father was 2nd cousin 2 times removed, the children are automatically set to 3rd cousin 1 time removed). Once in awhile I may need to go back and refresh them if something gets "out of whack", but most of the time it works just fine for me.

From Help...

CAUTION: If you enter new persons after this feature is turned on, you should click on Refresh relationships. If you do not do this, the correct relationship may not appear in the new person's screen.

OK, I see the "caution" there, but it has worked fine about 99.9% of the time for me. And it did back in Ver7 also. Maybe some people have problems and that's why the "caution" is there, but I haven't run into that (yet). Just my "two cents."

It depends on who is the focus when you add a new person. If the focus is a blood relative the relationship will be calculated, if not no relationship will be calculated. For example if you add a child to your blood related Aunt the relationship is calculated. If you add the child to her husband (your Uncle by marriage) the relationship will not be calculated. Based on my experiences and testing.

That being said, it is always best to refresh the relationships every so often after entering new persons ...