Judy M.

pdf: Printer not activated, error code - 30. Unable to start the print job.

Everything was fine...until I installed Windows 8.1 (from 8.0) yesterday afternoon. Now when I try to produce a report in .pdf format using exactly the same method I always used, I receive two messages:

1. Printer not activated, error code - 30. I click on OK.
2. Unable to start the print job.

Printer Setup shows CutePDF as being selected...as it always was. I checked my Program list, and CutePDF is still there. And I tested CutePDF with a WordPerfect document, and I was able to produce the .pdf file with no problem.

So...why am I unable to produce a .pdf file in TMG (as I was able to do as recently as yesterday morning)?

CutePDF shows up in properties as having been selected, I'm saving to file type PDF, the port for the "Wholly Genes PDF Writer" is "nul" -- what else can I look for?

Thanks!

Judy Madnick

Works fine for me and I have Win 8.1 as well as Win 8.1 update installed.

Reset the report definition and see if that works.

Remove the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4 from Devices and Printers and reinstall it from TMG and see if that works.

I removed the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4 and reinstalled -- and all is well! I never would have thought of that because I assumed I'm not using it in the first place. But what do I know? LOL!

Win 8.1 seems to have slowed down my computer considerably, especially at boot-up. Have you noticed a change? Maybe I should check my startup "stuff."

Thanks for your help!

Everyone using TMG 8 or TMG9 is using the PDF driver since the report preview file is a PDF.

I've seen no performance hit by Win 8.1 or by Win 8.1.1.

I guess I'm not "everyone." :no: What changes would I have to make to use the PDF driver?

I'll have to watch the performance. I've been making a few changes that require rebooting, and I know that sometimes a reboot after such changes can take longer.

Does that work in conjunction with CutePDF? That's where I'm confused. Meanwhile, thanks again for your help. I have now straightened out three issues that occurred when I upgraded to 8.1. :clap:

Does that work in conjunction with CutePDF?

No. We're talking about the PDF driver used by TMG when you output to screen or to Adobe Reader (PDF) (the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4 driver) .

When I print any report and check the "Printer setup," I've selected the CutePDF as my printer. I've just assumed that that meant I was actually using CutePDF, no?

It depends on what you select as report output.

On the report definition screen, when you select Adobe Reader (PDF) as output, it uses the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v4... as I have written above.

I think my computer is moving along better now. Perhaps the "slowness" had something to do with the various updates I was installing, which required reboots and resulted in slower boot-ups due to the changes they made in the system.

As for CutePDF -- did I need it in an earlier TMG version? And it's meaningless that when I check the properties in Report Destination for both Screen Preview and Save to PDF that under Printer|Selected I have Cute PDF? Right now I'll leave well enough alone because everything is working (thank you!).

Judy -

If you have a physical printer attached to your computer, that printer would normally be selected as your default printer. If you created large charts in VCF you may have downloaded the CutePDF driver to create a pdf file for a commercial printer.

Virginia

Virginia, I haven't produced any large charts in VCF. At this point I don't recall why I chose CutePDF as my printer in TMG. That's why I'm wondering whether there was something different about earlier versions that resulted in that choice.

I had to reinstall TMG v.9 and upgrade to v.9.05 due to a computer crash. Running Windows 8.1.

Have encountered the same error messages "printer not activated - error code 30", "Ter Print 2 - Error code 15" when attempting to create reports (family group sheets, individual detail and individual narrative) and save to pdf file. I followed the instructions to delete the pdf printer and reinstall.

I have reboted.

Now I do not get these error messages, but TMG goes into a "do loop" with a "please wait" message and have never gotten the message asking if I want to open the file. I have Acrobat reader DC installed on my computer. Going into the reports output folder, the title of my FGS is listed, and when I attempt to open it Acrobat puts up the dialog box with the message "There was an error opening this document. This file is already open or in use by another application."

I am unable to save a report to Word 2013 - the file is terribly corrupted when I open it.

Thankfully I am able to print hard copy but that kills a lot of trees.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Margaret

Margaret -

Have you set the WG printer port to Nul? Rightclick on that WG printer in Devices and Printers (note that Amyuni PDF printer driver may be shared by Quicken or other software on your computer, so be sure to select the Wholly Genes printer if there are several). Click on Ports and select Nul for Wholly Genes.

Virginia