skeletonchaser

TMG V9 crashing on Win8, repetitive unlocks required

I am new to TMG and purchased V9 after being impressed with the trial version. I installed V9 on a one-year old Lenovo running Win8 that is in as good working order as a Windows product can be. [Not so subtle request to create a Mac Version of TMG.]

[issue 1] Unfortunately, TMG frequently freezes and often crashes forcing me to create backups every few moments. I had been creating backups only once per day, but the project cannot be reopened after a crash [error messages reference missing tables]. This is very annoying.

[issue 2] Additionally, I am required to unlock the program EVERY TIME MS forces me to do a Windows update, which is insanely often.

I have read most of the user's manual and searched for help on this topic. I did check to see if the size of my project was a factor, but the manual gives the impression size is not a factor [ <27,000 individuals in one project spread over ~70 data sets]. Legacy and FTM do not react adversely with the same data.

I love the design of the program enough that I'm searching for a solution. If this is not resolved soon, however, I will have to find an alternative as I cannot reallocate my limited research time to re-entering my data every time TMG has a brain fart.

[issue 1] Have no idea.

[issue 2] This is a Win8 'feature'. It periodically scrubs the registration info from the registry VirtualStore.

Solution... Right-click the TMG9 shortcut and select 'Run as Administrator'. Unlock the program and exit. Now run TMG9 normally. The registration information will no longer be scrubbed by Win8.

When TMG 'freezes', go to Window on the top menu in TMG and click on 'Center the current window' if that option is available (not dimmed). Occasionally a window waiting for your reply will open behind the layout. If that is the case, 'Center the current window' will bring it to the front and 'unfreeze' TMG.

Virginia

Mine doesn't crash (thank heavens) but my registration is only remembered if I run as Administrator. If I log in normally I have to enter my code all over again, but if I run as Administrator I don't - it seems to remember. I've moved to a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and I use TMG all day every day for client work.

Cheers

Carole