rlgleason51

Retrieving custom layout

I just moved TMG 8.8 to a new computer. Everything went well except I managed to misplace my custom layout. Normally, I would just restore from a backup but I'm not confident that my backup is the latest (my move from old to new PC was rather hurried as I was getting hardware failure warnings and just overlooked creating a current backup). I tried restoring the layout by selecting the option to restore layout only, but when it warned me that I would be overwriting data, I stopped as I was not sure what data was being referred to, custom layout or other data.

I still have the old computer so I could copy the layout file if I knew where it was. Which method is better? Restoring a layout from a backup, or copying the file from the old PC? If copying is better, where would it be located?

Thanks.

The layout files have the .lo extension. You can backup and restore your layout files or simply copy the .lo files to the new computer. The layout files are in the User Program Data Files location. In TMG, on the top menu, click on Help and cursor down to Access Folders to see the path for those files. For more information on your data files, see Help / Data File Storage.

Virginia

I found the file on my old PC (user\my username\appdata\roaming\tmg).

However, I cannot find the equivalent location on the new PC. I can only locate: \user\my username\ . Do not have \appdata\roaming\TMG .

Perhaps the fact I am using a Mac with Parallels has something to do with it?

Did you do what Virginia suggested, but on your new version installed on your Mac?

In TMG, on the top menu, click on Help and cursor down to Access Folders...

The second item in the "Access Folders" list will be "User program data folder" which is the folder where your ".lo" files are stored on your Mac.

Copy the old file into that folder on your Mac, then Quit and reopen TMG.

Now on the TMG top menu, click on View, then Layouts, and you should see your copied layout as one of the available options.

Virginia/Michael

As usual, problem was user related. I could not find the path because the folders were hidden.. Once I had the hidden folders displayed, I was able to copy the custom layout and all is well.

Thanks for you help.

Have you changed the Windows Explorer properties to show hidden files? By default, in a new Windows installation, hidden files are not shown.