This should be in the TMG9 forum. I will move the topic once you respond.

Exactly what would you record. The only available templates are the Y-DNA and mitochondrial DNA templates.

You can use the mitochondrial template now if 23andme is added as a vendor.

What are the Y-DNA markers reported by 23andme? Can you point me to a link? I find their website to be obtuse at best.

All I really wanted to enter was the Y-DNA haplogroup. For instance, my males with the surname Redd are R1b1b2 Y-DNA haplogroup. I was able to enter my mtDNA haplogroup because it's that simple. My mtDNA haplogroup is HV9a. Why isn't there a way to simply enter the Y-DNA haplogroup, without defining the laboratory and the markers?

I looked around the 23andMe website & couldn't find a list of markers. I am asking the question at the 23andMe forum, and my cousin that I found via the 23andMe forum. But it would help if I could just enter the Y-DNA haplogroup like I entered the mtDNA haplogroup.

I would create custom event tags for the two haplogroup types and record the data there. You would have the advantage of being able to output a report of all of the haplogroup data with the List of People or List of Events reports using appropriate filters.

I had entered the Y-DNA haplogroup in the Memo field of a Note tag, however, the better solution is to keep all the DNA data in one place. Isn't that the idea behind providing the DNA Log? For now, I chose the FamilyTreeDNA 12 marker test, entered the Confirmed Haplogroup and explained myself in the Comments field. Not ideal, but somewhat functional. Perhaps I should do both, if that will make the information more available in Reports?

I'd like TMG to add:

1. a generic Y-DNA haplogroup selection in the Y-DNA log (like the mtDNA selection) (essential), and/or

2. 23andMe as a laboratory, and/or

3. user-added laboratory and/or test.

23andMe is a very well respected DNA laboratory and should be included by TMG. 23andMe sponsors the PBS genealogy program "Finding Your Roots", and all ancestral-DNA testing for "Finding Your Roots: is handled through 23andMe. I believe this area is going to grow and I'm sure there are other laboratories out there that TMG hasn't included. The mtDNA and Y-DNA haplogroup identification is the most important piece of DNA information. It would be easiest for TMG/Wholly Genes to just add the generic Y-DNA selection, but I do think keeping it all in one log is essential. I think I can establish a contact for 23andMe if TMG requires one.

I'll make a 23andme 12-marker Y-DNA template if I have a list of the markers. The problem is that 23andme reports the Y-DNA data in a different fashion from the other labs.

Making custom haplogroup event tags has the advantage of being able to search (filter) and output the haplogroup data in narrative and list reports.

The DNA log is cute but basically useless since there is nothing that you can do with the data other than record it.

It's disappointing that the DNA log button is there, but essentially useless. I'd like to urge TMG/Wholly Genes to make the DNA Log more functional, with a generic Y-DNA or user-added selection. I have a similar frustration with the Relation tag. It's there, and it works most of the time, but it doesn't show up in reports, filters, etc.

I've been given a bunch of DNA information for my family, but I will make a custom tag for it, as you suggest. Thanks for your help, Jim!

Edited by Kim & Kelly Derrick