Kathy McCubbing

Is it possible to have TMG on several devices...

Kathy,

You can of course have TMG installed on more than one device. Each license allows you to install it on up to three devices for the use of you and your family, provided that only one copy is used at a time.

Synchronizing the data they use however is not simple. There are several methods, but none is effortless.

If the devices will all remain connected by a local network you can put the data on one device, and access it over the network from the others. That is easy to do and avoids other issues, but doesn't work of course if you want to take a portable device elsewhere and use TMG there.

You can also put the data on a removable storage device, such as an external drive or a thumb drive, and move that from device to device. That may be the most reliable method if you need to use TMG away from home, as it largely avoids the possibility of updating more than one copy of the data.

The time-honored way to use TMG on multiple devices is to make a backup on the one most recently used, and then restore that backup on another device when you want to use it. In addition to being a bother to do, it is easy to forget which device has the current copy of the data and then make separate updates on two different copies. Recovering from that mistake is painful.

Placing the data in folders on each device synchronized by a cloud service, such as DropBox, is not recommended and is considered dangerous to your data, because your data is actually contained on a great many individual files which are written to continuously as you work, and having a the cloud service making updates at the same time invites trouble. You can copy backups to a synchronized folder and share them that way, but do not actually make them in that folder as that is known to create corrupt backups.

Hi, Terry. I just posted on another forum then found this one. You say:

If the devices will all remain connected by a local network you can put the data on one device, and access it over the network from the others. That is easy to do

I keep my data on my desktop then write remotely from my laptop. With v8 I had to show the full path to the desktop, i.e.,

\\computername\users\owner\documents\TMG8\projects\file

We now have v9 on both computers and my old way doesn't work. I have mapped drives to documents, to TMG9, and to projects and none of those work either. When I try to add a tag I get:

"Variable 'LAROLES' is not found. 61 FRMEVENTS.MCREATEROLES2"

and when I try to change information, it doesn't take. HELP, please!!! Thank you much!!

Please quit posting the same message in multiple and inappropriate topics. I removed the third copy of the message that you posted.

Terry has responded to your post about using a project over a network. If that doesn't work, someone else might respond.

The first thing to do when getting errors such as you describe is to run the appropriate TMG installer and select [Repair].

Jim, mea culpa. I do not think the error is with the installation. The program works fine using the local project on both computers. When I was working with v8 I ran into similar issues until I discovered I had to do the complete path, i.e., \\computer\user\owner\documents\TMG\projects\file. I have tried that; I have tried the file/open, as Terry suggested; I have tried a mapped drive. None of these paths work. I'm sure I am not the only one who accesses a project file from a remote device. With v8 it took a couple of calls to Wholly Genes to find a solution. I reposted thinking the exact error code might be beneficial in finding a solution.

Did you search for the error on the forums?

TMG error messages are generated on-the-fly so are only of use to developers (unless a specific error message and a solution for that case have been posted).

Reading this topic...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15089-relationship-to-you-custom-tag/?hl=laroles&do=findComment&comment=61379

This topic suggests that you have a corrupted tag type record for one or more tag types. Is a particular tag type or person involved? Some handle is needed to pin the problem down. If you can do that, I can fix the issue.

You can send me the project backup by contacting me. Clicking on the link below will get to me by email.

Jim Byram

The project backup should only contain the project files, accents and filters to keep the size down.