gilcroome

error message 482 REINDEX DATASETS

I have been revising place names through Master Place List. After I change even a few then do maintenance, Reindex & Optimize I get the message: myfilename_ppv.dbf does not exist 482 REINDEX DATASETS. If I try to ignore I get a message "Project is in use elsewhere" (it is not). This has occurred repeatedly this afternoon, despite logging out of TMG V9, shutting down the computer, and repeatedly restoring the file from backup into a new file folder. Any solutions or suggestions?

After sleeping on this, I realized that I had not run Validate File Integrity as part of my Maintenance. Running that bit of maintenance found and fixed a lot of errors. Problem solved!

I JUST WANT TO WORK ON GENEALOGY NOT ON MY SOFTWARE

Yours is the same problem that I'm having at least since February. I hope you or someone will have suggestions for me. It must not be too common as I have only seen a few older posts on it in addition to yours. I also get the 482 reindex, with alternating .dbf files missing on different occasions. I use the default directory but also get your message project in use elsewhere. I run at the close of a work session optimize, verify file but when it crashes I can't go on and backup [and maybe then I wouldn't want to] so I've had to restore backups a number of times, reenter data a number of times and I'm still behind where I was on data entry. I had no idea I would be spending so much time just spinning my wheels and trying to figure out what's going wrong rather than entering genealogy and sources. I like the flexibility and features of TMG but I just want to use it and not work on trying to fix it.

In Jan 2013, I transferred to TMG from FTM. I'm using the Gold version 9. I have 19000 plus names and utilize many of the features - sources, citations, memos, exhibits, etc. I was operating with XP, added more RAM but problem continued. Then I went to my lap top with Windows 7 and then over several brief sessions, all worked great until I worked most of a day with a lot of different input and it crashed again ! I did find a document that tells me what the file letters stand for - maybe that will help me narrow it down.

I have been in touch with Technical support several times even sending them my file but they report no crashes. I don't know if my particular combination brings out a bug in the software or there's something peculiar about my computer setup (s).

I have seen it given to run in this order: optimize, VFI, and then optimize again. I have not done a reindex, but read that optimize does a reindex - is that correct?

I hope you or someone can advise me - Thanks.

I just ran a test and optimize apparently reindexes all files. All index files had updated date/time stamps after running optimize.

My 5 month-long problem continues ! The program crashes [but not every time] while running optimize. I get a message that it can't find myfile_s.dbf or g, i, m, or p or others. The sample file [64 names] always works ok. I found a key to some of the .dbf files. "p". dbf is the place file so I did some evaluations with the Master Place list I aligned a few entries, ran optimize, crashed again: ppv.dbf does not exist, 482 reindex data sets [5]. Then I cleared project and restored the same backup, changed one entry from postal to county and then optimized, vfi, optimize: all ok. Then I replaced a number of county entries [split off the state], ran optimize: ppv. dbf does not exist, reindex, etc." p.dbf does not exist. Other messages generated: Reindexdataset5, project open elsewhere, alias is not found 39, pn relation, 25 buildplace, Recno is not found, table has no index order. I use only one data set. Any help out there????

No drop box or cloud services. Before the latest, I removed tmg9 via the control panel, searched and removed any copies of tmg files. I then reloaded TMG9 and restored a backup file [.sqz]. Then without making changes I ran optimize, VFI, and optimize again with no problems but after making a few changes with the Place list, the program crashed [as it has been doing].

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I have been having similar problems, to include if I delete a person and try running Optimize, etc. It has gotten to the point to where I have gone back to using ver. 8.1. However, the problem is still there. My solution(???), at least for the time being, is, add a few things, run the optimize, verify, run a (hopefully good) backup, then work a few more entries. I probably run, maybe three to four backups per day. It is the best approach since it is not pleasant to see, ABORT, RETRY, CANCEL only to know all the prior work was lost!

Still waiting for an answer

I can definitely relate to what you are saying. It's been like 3 steps forward and two steps back - sometimes 4 steps back ! I don't think in the beginning [import from Family Tree maker] that I ran optimize for some time and "things" then seemed to be running ok. I am trying to utilize many of TMG's features - lots of exhibits, sources, citations, witnesses, censuses, etc. and there's place rearrangements to be made, flags. events to add and put into order.

Since my last post, I have tried [tested] several different files [with TMG 9] and all give the usual type errors: Reindex data set 5 [sic], project in use elsewhere, myfile_m.dbf does not exist [and also s, g, i, p, pd, ppv]. I've removed TMG through control panel, searched and removed all TMG files [empty recycle bin] and then reinstalled the TMG9. In addition to my current file I went back and reimported from FTM as simple, advanced, and just GEDCOM - all 3 crashed. I also did a FTM import from another person's file and it crashed. This file has 1/10 the number of names as mine, 1 exhibit, and the file size is about 1/70 of mine. Then finally I started a brand new file on TMG 9 made only a few entries, and yes you guessed it, it crashed on optimization. The file always looks and acts ok until I run optimization. On one occasion, I ran [as recommended] optimization - ok, VFI - ok, and optimization - crashed. I've run on two computers with both XP and Windows 7 - both crash.

I have tried to "reinsert" missing files back into the defective file and then go on but that may be a shaky thing to do. I wonder if I made a copy of the project files just before running optimize [keeping file open] if that would work or just skip optimize. Whatever the approach as stated above, one needs to make lots of backups and I guess hope for the best.

I have been in touch with tech support several times and the advice seemd good initially but the last time I was advised to turn off my computer, wait 5 minutes and turn it back on.

How much genealogy input could I have completed if not for dealing with all the errors.

genealogist4y56

Do you have multiple datasets in the projects which have a problem? Do you have the same optimize problem with a project in which you enter the data directly rather than importing GEDCOM's?

Virginia

I only use one dataset. Under projects I have only my file and the sample project but do not open them both at the same time. I haven't seen the error with the sample project but have not rigorously tried [i guess that's something I could try also]. I encountered the same error when I started a new project from 0 [typed in only - no import]. This had only a few names, few places, few sources, and a source exhibit. On optimize: 482 s does not exist. I've seen posts going back a few years that had similar problems. What will happen if going forward I skip optimize?

Thanks Virginia

Yes my project is here: c:\documents & settings\my name\my documents\the master genealogist v9\projects. I don't know of other programs running when I optimize unless my anti-virus or anti-malware is interfering.

Thanks

Hi,

I will repeat, I am having similar issues. I make additions to my dataset, only to lose all that was entered. It has finally reached a point that I will be doing very little adds till I hear the problem is fixed. It gets very frustrating to do work through the day, just to have to go back to whatever day was the good backup!

John Van Dyke

Brewer, Maine

I wasn't going to post just yet until I saw John's post but knowing how frustrating this issue is, I post a possible solution . I may have found the problem but I'm not confident of it yet. Following up on Virginia's comment concerning "other programs running", and after reading a seemingly-relevant article [see below], I took a look at my anti-virus and anti-malware [i mentioned this early-on but Tech Support didn't think it would be the problem - but it's my best theory at the moment ]. After adding exclusions to virus software for the tmg 9 folder and these extensions: dbf, cdx, fpt, dbc, dbx, and dbt, I have moved several "steps" beyond where the software crashed before using optimization. It's going to take a lot more to build back my confidence in the software. I wouldn't have spent so much time with this had I not been impressed with TMG's capabilities. I may need to also include some other folders and will check at the control panel for other anti-virus software that I may have forgotten about. There's an older document that gives info on TMG file structures and states that TMG info is stored in a series of Foxpro-compatible database files: http://stg4.docstoc.com/docs/104740780/Appendix-C-File-Structures . An article alluding to Visual Fox Pro speaks of issues with an over-zealous anti-virus causing problems [as well as other possible sources of problems: http://www.hexcentral.com/articles/troubleshoot.htm. I hope this post will be helpful.

Happy 4th to Everyone

John - That sounds like a Draconian solution to the problem. Have you tried running Optimize when you are safely off line and all other programs are turned off, including your anti-virus/malware programs? I would turn those programs off rather than exclude specific file extensions.

Are your exhibits internal or external?

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

In answer to your questions, I have not tried Optimize when offline, nor with other programs closed. My virus program is McAfee and it was running. Also, I have experienced the problem when I delete a person. Just after deleting, on occasion, I will run Reindex first, then Optimize and hold my breath. I would like to be able to say, doing that sequence all the time everything works OK. But not always.

If I do make any entries to my database, I will add three of four things, than run Reindex and Optimize and hope for the best. If I am successful, I will run a backup!

My exhibits are all external. They have been that way from day one of TMG, way back. My thoughts of reformatting stems from "just maybe" there is "something" on my computer causing the issue. Maybe something from a prior program.

John -

I also recommend external exhibits. Have you tried running VFI before the Optimize?

Do I remember correctly that you have a very long project name with spaces and characters? That should not make a difference these days, but when manipulating a hundred or so files in a project with that long name, perhaps something is being dropped. All of my projects are a single word (Brown, Whipple, etc.) You could try an Optimize with a shorter name by copying your project to a new folder (File / Copy Project) and renaming that copy (File / Rename project) to simply Vandyke. That will change all of the project file names to Vandyke. Then run VFI / Optimize / VFI and see if that works.

Virginia

I began to experience the same problem yesterday (July 6). The problem affects various .DBF files. I thought I had the problem solved this morning when I deleted the project, uninstall TMG, re-installed TMG 9.0, updated to 9.1, restored the backup from July 5. Everything looked good for a while when I re-indexed the project, optimized the project and validated the project. Validating reported one potential problem fixed. Then I re-indexed and the "_PPV.DBF" file was missing.

Is the validation process removing files needed to for the project?

I am running windows 7, McAfee Security Center 12.8 and Memeo Backup Premium 4.60.

Memeo pushes changed files in my backup set to a network server.

I need a solution other than rentering data on the 46,000 person in my database (one data set).

I began to experience the same problem yesterday (July 6). The problem affects various .DBF files. I thought I had the problem solved this morning when I deleted the project, uninstall TMG, re-installed TMG 9.0, updated to 9.1, restored the backup from July 5. Everything looked good for a while when I re-indexed the project, optimized the project and validated the project. Validating reported one potential problem fixed. Then I re-indexed and the "_PPV.DBF" file was missing.

I am running windows 7, McAfee Security Center 12.8 and Memeo Backup Premium 4.60.

I need a solution other than rentering data on the 46,000 person in my database (one data set).