gilcroome

error message 482 REINDEX DATASETS

I am running ... Memeo Backup Premium 4.60. Memeo pushes changed files in my backup set to a network server.

This is a prime example of a program which can cause nasty problems with many other running programs, especially database programs like TMG. As others have repeatedly warned, any program (like Memeo) which runs in the background and "might" look at or try to copy or otherwise touch one of the TMG files while TMG is running may cause problems. There should be some configuration of Memeo which will allow you to tell it to never look at or touch any files in your TMG directories. Instead have Memeo watch some special backup folder. Then when you finish doing some work, first run a TMG backup, but do not have TMG write that backup into any folder Memeo is monitoring. Then when the TMG backup finishes, copy that one ".sqz" file to your special Memeo folder so it will back it up to your network server at some point.

Almost all users have no problems with Optimize and VFI. Lost files or other hangs such as are being reported during TMG activities have in the past been either some background program like Memeo "messing" with the files while TMG is running, some permissions issue with files/folders, or trying to have TMG write directly to folders which are not the hard disk on that system such as thumb drives or network drives. I believe one of these three issues is invariably the cause of the problems you are seeing.

I am also experiencing the same problem.

I have a database with more than 45,000 individuals. It runs on a Windows 7 desktop, with 8 GB Ram, McAfee Security Center & Memeo Premium Backup 4. (Memeo monitors selected files and pushes the changed files to a network drive).

I thought I had the problem solved after deleting the project, uninstalling TMG 9.01, re-installing TMG 9.01, restoring the backup from the day before the problem, re-indexing the file, optimizing the project and validating the project. Validation reported 1 error fixed. I then tried to re-index and found the problem re-occurred.

Perhaps the validation process removed the "_PPV.DBF" file.

I have a database with more than 45,000 individuals. It runs on a Windows 7 desktop, with 8 GB Ram, McAfee Security Center & Memeo Premium Backup 4. (Memeo monitors selected files and pushes the changed files to a network drive).

I thought I had the problem solved after deleting the project, uninstalling TMG 9.01, re-installing TMG 9.01, restoring the backup from the day before the problem, re-indexing the file, optimizing the project and validating the project. Validation reported 1 error fixed. I then tried to re-index and found the problem re-occurred.

Hi,

Well, I have reformatted my hard drive and am now in the process of rebuilding my software and data for all programs. I will keep this link informed as to how things are now going as I try to add to my TMG data.

I feel your pain, as I am having the same problem (see my post on "missing .dbf files.) I would restore a backup, but as soon as I ran optimize, the error sequence would start again,,saying the file was in use elsewhere. Tried re installing TMG 9, but didn't help. Then Installed TMG 9 on my old computer, restored from the same backup, ran all the maintenance functions, and all ran fine. Back to new computer with the .sqz file I had made on the old one. Renamed my project, creating a new folder for it, thinking maybe changing the path might help. Two days and haven't had any serious setbacks. The program did have a freezeup yesterday when I simply clicked to add a citation, and I had to force shutdown. However, my project came back up o.k. when I re-opened TMG.

Tried to update to 9.03 last night and got all kinds of errors as are being described by some users. Couldn't even open the sample project. Bailed out fast by doing a system restore back to 9.01. I've been using TMG for 15+ years since Version 1.2, and NEVER had problems like this. Wish I had stayed with Version 7, but to go back to that I would loose two months of intensive work. I agree, I've spent more time fiddling with the software than doing genealogy. If at least 3 of us are having the problem, perhaps someone will get interested.

I'm running Windows 7 on both computers, but the old one has Norton for virus, and I have McAfee on the new one.

Keep in touch if you find a solution. My situation seems to have improved, but I'm not yet confident, and I'm backing up about every 30 minutes!

Mary Lou Bailey