TouchDirt

Change parents for a group of children

I have a family of children assigned to the wrong parents. I have changed the parents and have one parent connected to the children. Unable to connect the other parent. Help, please.

TMG 7.0 and Windows 7

Touch,

Make a note of the ID# of the new parent you are unable to connect. Then go to the old parent who is still connected. In the list of Tags, open the Parent/child tag for one of the children, and enter the ID# of the new parent in that Tag. Repeat for each of the other children.

I have already disconnected the parent that I am trying to replace. The new parents are connected and the new mother is connected to the children. The problem is connecting the father...now what do I do?

Pretty much the same thing - edit the parent/child Relationship Tags. But if you have already disconnected the old father, it's just a tad harder. You work from either the new father's view, for from the view of each of the children:

1. To work from the father's view: note the ID# of each of the children. Then, from the father's view, add a Son-biological or Daughter-biological tag for each child, entering each child's ID# in a different Tag.

2. To work from the children's view: note the ID# of the father. Go to the view of one of the children, and at the top, and double-click where it says Father, which opens a Relationship Tag. Enter the ID# of the father. Repeat for each child.

Both of these do the same thing - add a parent/child Relationship tag to connect the child and the father. The only difference is how you open that tag.

You might find the article on my website about TMG basics helpful in understanding how TMG treats marriages and parent/child tags. Link below.

I have to be doing something wrong.

I am on the father's page who is connected to the children's mother.

I ADD a daughter, it asks me to choose the mother. It takes me to the ADD a PERSON screen. I enter the number of the child I want to add and get error "The specified number is already in use. Use F2 to find unused numbers."

(The end result is the same whether or not I choose a mother. Not sure whether I should choose one or not.)

Not exactly sure what I finally did, but I have linked my persons correctly. Now...

The parent in question should be my 3x great grandfather. TMG says that he is my first cousin 5x removed. What is the fix?

You don't say where TMG says that, but I'm assuming you have the automatic relationship tag turned, and that's where you see this. That tag is not updated "on the go" because of performance hit it would cause to re-calculate all those relationships all the time. So it is still showing old relationships.

The solution is to refresh that tag in Preferences > Current Project Options > Other.

Many people who use that tag put a button to do this on the custom toolbar so it's handy.