Sign in to follow this  
Leslie1899

Data_path File Ignored in v9 Install

Win XP Pro on vm running Parallels 9. I'd placed my data_paths file in the newly created TMG 9 program folder where the program was told to install. However, TMG v9 did not install the program as specified. The resulting error message reads = "Data cannot be relocated from the program folder to the program folder. Please make sure that none of the data relocation paths point to the program folder." I can't open TMG 9 to verify via Help that the requirements for the data paths file have/have not changed.

The data_paths file was created in Notepad and reads:

[Administrator]

SharedProgramData=E:\TMG 9\ProgramData

UserProgramData=E:\TMG 9\AppData

UserData=F:\TMG9\UserData

I've used these file paths for v7 and, I believe, v8. I've uninstalled v8 so can't check to see if that's the case OR to read its Help file. I've downloaded the v9 manual, but could not find anything about data file storage for advanced users in it. I really don't understand having this critical information available only AFTER program installation when it's needed BEFORE one gets in trouble.

I've uninstalled and re-installed multiple times with no success. Please advise.

Regards,

Leslie

Glenn will need to respond to this since it involves Parallels.

You can always copy the help file to a location of your choice so that it is available independent of a TMG installation. There are no changes to data file storage and the Data_paths.txt file in TMG9 as compared to TMG7 and TMG8..

Because this is running on the vm machine NOT in coherence, etc. mode, it is independent of Parallels. I've been using Parallels since 2009 with TMG (installing v8 was no problem) and never experienced any problem with TMG files going into My Documents, etc. I suspect this has been the case, largely, because I use separate data paths. As far as TMG is concerned, it doesn't know about Parallels.

:yes:I suggest you keep things simple and use the data_paths.txt file to redirect UserData ONLY and let TMG put the other files in their default locations.

Simple two line data_paths.txt file

[Administrator]

UserData=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v9

From TMG Help Topic: Customizing Data File Storage

:excl: This topic is for Advanced Users who need to customize the default The Master Genealogist v9 data file folder locations. PLEASE NOTE: If you are NOT an advanced user, then the system is already configured properly for you.

Windows XP and Windows 2000

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v9 (Shared Program Data Files)

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v9 (User Program Data Files)

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v9 (User Data Files)

Examples:

(Windows XP / Windows 2000 example)

[username]

SharedProgramData=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v9

UserProgramData=C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v9

UserData=C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v9

Windows Vista and later

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 (Shared Program Data Files)

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v9 (User Program Data Files)

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9 (User Data Files)

(Windows Vista or later example)

[username]

SharedProgramData=C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9

UserProgramData=C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v9

UserData=C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9

Coherence is simply a VIEWING MODE - as are Full Screen, Window and Crystal... basically just the way YOU choose to view the virtual machine.

Edited by ggilbert1

I am not at all interested in only moving the program paths for data. I do not EVER install programs onto the OS drive. I am logged on, as always, as Administrator in XP; no one else uses this computer. The logical drives were created long before I moved to Apple and have been respected by Parallels. Windows runs on a separate monitor and is, for all intents and purposes, a separate machine. It's is backed up separately, etc. I have never had any desire to have any Windows folder/file open directly in the mac. I have loaded other programs successfully onto my separate logical drive since I switched to Apple/Parallels in 2009.

I found someone who copied and sent me the Customizing Data File Storage Help files for me. As I've explained I cannot open the TMG 9 at all so there's been NO way to view the help files. I consider this a major mistake on WhollyGenes part - this type of file should be available prior to installation.

I've used data paths successfully for years, having never installed TMG onto the C: drive. As I explained, I'm using XP. Here is the latest failed data path file:

[Administrator]

SharedProgramData=E:\TMG 9\SharedProgramData

UserProgramData=E:\TMG 9\UserProgramData

UserData=F:\TMG 9\UserData

The program allegedly installs, but when I try to open it I get the following error message: "Data cannot be relocated from the program folder to the program folder." Please make sure that none of the data relocation paths point to the program folder. I doesn't work when I use only E:\TMG 9\, letting it create the separate folders for shared and user program data. It doesn't work if I use a slight variation in the program name for the data files on my F drive. I've never seen the reason to have long folder names when one is using separate drives for programs, data, images.

What do I need to do to make the program install where I want it to OR have I simply wasted my money?

Leslie

Edited by Leslie1899

I found someone who copied and sent me the Customizing Data File Storage Help files for me. As I've explained I cannot open the TMG 9 at all so there's been NO way to view the help files.

Toby,

Sure there is. Go to the folder where you have TMG installed and double-click on TMG.chm.

What do I need to do to make the program install where I want it to OR have I simply wasted my money?

Make the program install? Where do you have the program installed?

The program will not launch after each installation, giving me the error message. On earlier attempts, I verified that no portions of the program had installed in any of the program parts in any of the folders to which the data_paths file pointed. I didn't look for a chm file. After my initial failures, I stopped verifying where TMG 9 put itself and, if it won't launch giving me the same error message, I uninstall it immediately. The trial version had been installed on top of v7 (due to a faulty data_paths file which was clearly my mistake). This is why TMG v7's report output became incorrect and is now unusable. I uninstalled the trial version, downloaded the full Gold version of 9, paid for it and have never been able to install it.

I thought about adding Administrator to the data_paths file to see if that works (even though it was not needed for v7 or v8). However, I do not want this file installed under the C:drive which is the only place I have an Administrator or All Users folder. My file structure is simple: all program files go on the E:drive, all data on the F:drive and all images on the G:drive. The drive letter and program folder name should be differentiation enough. It makes sense to use Administrator/All Users only if you are installing on the C:drive.

My bottom line: if TMG 9 can't be installed where I want, I don't want it. I'll miss some of the new program additions, such as pronouns (not roles), but will have to stick with v7 (and, yes, I know support on SS and TMGU will stop, but I'll just have to live with that). I'll have to find a way to repair the damaged report writer in v7.

Leslie

Edited by Leslie1899

I tried one last gambit and TMG installed. The change is minor, BUT I'd closed Windows for an extended period before restarting. This may have made the difference.

New data_paths file:

[Administrator]

SharedProgramData=E:\The Master Genealogist 9\SharedProgramData

UserProgramData=E:\The Master Genealogist 9\UserProgramData

UserData=F:\The Master Genealogist 9\UserData

The only difference between the successful install and the last unsuccessful install was: 1) I closed Windows for an extended period before reopening;

and, 2) I changed TMG 9 to The Master Genealogist 9 (minor change). Everything else is identical. I suspect the difference was keeping Windows closed instead of

simply restarting it after uninstalling. Something had lingered which confused the installer.

I've verified that the program installed in the right places. I think it might be useful if the Customizing Data Storage file included a paragraph on setting up the data paths file for people who use different logical drives.

Leslie