E Wilcock

Lost custom layouts after wiping computer

A week or two ago, Terry showed me how one could retain one's custom layouts etc. after an upgrade by backing up projects in TMG UK8 and then restoring the back ups in version 9.

So when I had to wipe my computer and restore it to factory settings and reinstalled TMG UK 9, I imagined that opening the Projects would reveal the layouts etc. just as I left them.

No it did not.

I have an external hard drive with a complete copy of the C drive as it was before the wiping, including app data etc, but I did not make any special back ups of individual TMG projects.

Where will the custom layouts be and why are they not with the individual projects?

Since I still have the back ups I used not long ago, should I go to them and restore them? At least for those projects on which I have not done any work recently.

It seems incredible that I can spend 2 days wiping my computer, reinstal all my programmes and files, and that it is TMG which is unexpectedly "missing" info.

Edited by E Wilcock

There is an option in the Backup Wizard to include the layout files in your backup.

For the location of the layout files (*.lo) see the Help topic: Data File Storage.

After reading that, on the top menu in TMG, go to Help and cursor down to Access folders.

Virginia

Thanks. So I misunderstood what happened when upgrading and thought the custom lay out was now in version 9 included in the Project folder.

However, pasting the custom layout from my external drive User app data roaming folder for TMG 9 into the C drive user roaming app data has given me layouts downloaded from TMG UK experts, but has not made my own customised layout fully available. Instead of my buttons to access the UK census and other Tags which I use a lot, I get a notice saying "customise".

The instructions you refer to above about deleting and not deleting folders simply confuse me. I use Windows 7. The Help tells me there are so many places in Windows 7 where my custom data may or may not be.

Clearly I need to move in some additional data. It may be that I am only lacking custom buttons. But I dont think I should delete any folders. It is very strange that when the computer was new two years ago in 2012, I dont remember any of this loss of my customisations. I am normally quite good at computers.

Hi,

when you are talking about buttons, I think you had created custom toolbars, too. You will need to restore/transfer them (filename *.tbr) to the same folder where your app.ini resides.

That has fixed it thank you, Helmut. I have been using TMG for years and it is really easy to forget - especially if one has been encouraged (rightly) to make custom settings to fit the work one is doing.

Next autumn I will be upgrading Second Site and I have lots of documents noting how I set that up and created a language which I shall have to repeat. But I didnt keep any notes on handling TMG itself. And next autumn too, I will be exploring Terry's list of good things to do on TMG 9 -