Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Descendant Narrative Report numbering style

I am interested in using 'MGSQ' style of numbering in my reports.

I have such a report that I printed some time ago (I don't know when) and it used this style of numbering. I swear this report was generated from TMG.

Did TMG offer at one time (an earlier version) this MGSQ style of numbering? It's the style that uses 'Generation 1, Generation 2, etc and regular numbers with a + sign in front of them.

I can't seem to find this style in the options. I'm stumped. Can someone help?

Jim

Jim,

Is this a Journal report, or another narrative style? (A Journal has the list of a couple's children under their section, and the others do not.)

I see that the Descendant Indented narrative does offer several styles of numbering. I don't know if any of them is what you have in mind.

Thanks for the message. From your post it dawned on me that the report I was referring to was in fact a journal report.

That solved my problem and I thank you so much.

One additional question if you don't mind in reference to these journal reports.

With one person in said report, in an attempt to get my sentences the way I want them, I added a primary designation to a census report and the other census report in this persons detail changed to non primary.

Any clues as to why?

Jim

Jim,

With Tag Types in the "Other Events" group, which Census Tags are, there can only be one Tag of a given type marked as Primary with each set of Principals. That is, if John Smith is the only Principal, only one Census tag can be primary. If he and his wife are Principals, only one of them can be Primary, but also one with John alone.

There are two solutions. One is to make several separate Tag Types. For example, you can have a Census 1900 and Census 1910, and Census 1920, etc. For Census tags this is actually a good idea in my view, because it is easy to see at a glance which census is missing. And, you can have different Sentences for different years, which is useful especially for the early years where there is little detail.

While this works well for Census, it works less well for other types of Tags, where there is little utility in having different types. So the more general solution is to not use the "Primary Tags Only" option in the report. I find this option doesn't work at all because I often have many Tags of the same type for a well-researched person.

If there are certain Tags you don't want to print, assign them a different Tag Type, and use the option in the report to print "Selected" Tag Types, then un-select those Tag Types that you don't want to print. If necessary, create one or more custom Tag Types to use with data you don't want to print, or may not want to print in some cases.