Sign in to follow this  
MLPBailey

Missing -F.dbf file Can't open project V7.04

I posted this on TMG-L, but haven't yet had a reply, so maybe it belongs here, too.

Got a new computer last week. Installed V7 from my original disk and updated it to 7.04 via Wholly Genes website. Working fine except for some occasional error messages when making reports, which I didn’t document.
HOWEVER, today I got a message that my project was in use elsewhere and to open another project. So I tried the Sample project and got an access denied message, c:\\users\mlpb\appdata\temp56997029\swingstag.dbf 4996 CREATETAGSTRING. Click retry. That worked so I could open the sample, but not my Bailey project.
Rebooted the computer, TMG opened in repair mode. Tried to open my Bailey project and got the message again that 1) project was in use 2) Error found when opening data files Bailey_F.dbf not found.
A search of the computer shows that indeed Bailey_F.dbf is not in my Bailey project, but only in the Repeat files folder.

Before all this happened I was attempting to use a copy of SS version 2, so had set my data set in SS. It was when I attempted to re-open TMG that all this happened.
Long, long time TMG user, but not a techie, so need some help. Can’t find anything in the TMG-L archives.
Mary Lou Bailey

Did you actually look into the Bailey project folder to check that the F.DBF and F.FPT files are not there? I suspect that they are there and one is damaged.

While it might be possible to repair the file (or files), this is the parent-child relationship table and the repair could result in lost data.

If your project is damaged, you should revert to your last backup.

Caution - Don't ever open your project in TMG and in SS at the same time.

A search of the computer shows that indeed Bailey_F.dbf is not in my Bailey project, but only in the Repeat files folder.

No project files should be in your Repeat_files folder. Repeat files have a different naming convention than project files and all repeat file names begin with "Repeat".

Thanks, Jim, for your reply. I had already decided that my only resort was going to be to restore from a backup. I'm still puzzled as to what caused the whole sequence of events. In 13 years of using TMG I've not had a problem like this. However, about mid-afternoon I decided to just bite the bullet and move on to TMG 9 and SS 5, which I had already purchased, along with the new computer. So far, so good. They're both up and running, with a few tweaks here and there.

I guess, at age 77, one tends to like staying with the familiar, and I've also not been doing much genealogy the last 2 years since being widowed and not having a lot of interest in anything. However, I'm getting back to my passion of family history, and, having set up this new computer by myself, I guess I still have a few active brain cells!

Thanks again. Remember you as one of my favorites on the board from years back.

Mary Lou Bailey

Similar problem I think.

I get the error message _E.dbf not found and then TMG closes.

Can this be recovered by Wholly genes or do I bite the bullet and resort to the latest backup and then re-entere everything.

I have been getting error messages when trying to enter a new person. I contact help desk and was told to re-install which we did but the problem continues but not with every person.

Today I cant even open the latest project.

thanks

Gail