gray1720

Exporting descendants of one person

I've been trying to do this (as a GEDCOM), via the export ccommand in the File menu, but only seem to be able to export the one person. I'd like to export all their descendants - has anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong, please?

Thanks,

Adrian

The options I have are:

Current focus person or My Project

The latter has the options All People, Selected People on Project Explorer, and People in Focus Group.

I can't see a way of selecting all descendants in Project Explorer, is it lurking under focus group somewhere then?

[old git]It was so much easier in version 4.0[/old git].

I won't reply for a while as it's bed time, so no need to hurry!

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian,

It sounds like you haven't actually put the people you want to include into the Focus Group. To do that:

1. Start with an Empty FG.

2. Navigate to a screen that shows the person you want to start with, and right-click on that person. Choose Add to Focus Group.

3. Now, in the FG: Make sure the person you added is "selected" - that is highlighted.

4. In the "Add Others" section on the right, check the Descendants box and set the number of generations high enough. Make sure the Ancestors and Spouses boxes are unchecked.

5. Click the Add Others button. This will add all the Descendants to the FG and you will see their names listed in the main box there.

You now have all the descendants in the FG, and you can use it for the Export.

You can use the Project explorer, but it's harder. You have to create a filter, then select everyone who is left.

Thank you.

After several tries and coming up short, I now realize where I was going wrong. GEDCOM export is working as I type. I was just not doing it correctly. Thanks again.

Adrian,

It sounds like you haven't actually put the people you want to include into the Focus Group. To do that:

1. Start with an Empty FG.

2. Navigate to a screen that shows the person you want to start with, and right-click on that person. Choose Add to Focus Group.

3. Now, in the FG: Make sure the person you added is "selected" - that is highlighted.

4. In the "Add Others" section on the right, check the Descendants box and set the number of generations high enough. Make sure the Ancestors and Spouses boxes are unchecked.

Why uncheck the "spouses" box?

Why uncheck the "spouses" box?

Adrian,

Because you said you wanted the descendants of the starting person, not his or her spouse.

If you want the spouses of the descendants too, checking the Spouses box in the step I describe above won't do it. That will only add the spouse of the starting person. To add the spouses of the descendants (along with the spouse of the starting person) you need to add a step:

After you have all the descendants in the FG, click the "Select All" button to select everyone. Then un-check the Descendants box and check the Spouses box, and click the Add Others button again.

In short, the "Add Others" function only applies to the people already in the FG, and of them, only to the ones you have selected. So if you want to add other people related to those already in the FG, you have to select the people whose relatives you want to add, then check the appropriate box(es) and click Add Others.

I spoke too soon.

I thought it was going well. The GEDCOM export function showed 6483 people (and a few thousand families) being exported, and took over an HOUR to produce a file which, once again, was 1kb in size. "0 HEAD" is all that was in the file.

I don't get it.

Adrian,

That is typically caused by interference of other programs with the files as TMG is working with them. The prime culprits are automatic cloud backup backup/synchronization systems like Drop-Box, although other types of programs have also been implicated. Don't let such programs have access to your TMG files while creating an export (or backup).

I'll give it another shot, although I don't use any type of backup/sync programs. I'll do a clean reboot and try it again. Thanks.