Sign in to follow this  
nckarter

Help with Reports

I have been using Family Tree Maker and thought I would try Master Genealogist. But I can't find a way to do a report that makes sense. In FTM I just click on Generation Report and select the oldest ancestor. It then breaks the descendants down into Generations and labels each section Generation 1, Generation 2, etc. The oldest ancestor is number 1 and it only lists his children. The children without issue are given a small roman numeral and the children with issue are numbered 2 +. Then the next section starts with Generation 2, etc.

When I printed out a descendency narrative it didn't separate into generations and it left out all important dates like birth, death, marriage etc.

What report can I use that will give me what I've been getting in FTM? I want dates and the note narratives all in one.

Hi nckarter,

probably you won't get exactly the same report you have in FTM, but:

- the generations are intended by tabs or a number of spaces (may be defined in the report options)

- in the report options, you can specify which elements (events) are to be output (all, none, a selection)

nckarter

On the top menu in TMG, click on Report / Sample Reports and look at the example of the Journal report.

In TMG, on the Report menu, click on Journal Report, In that report, click on the Options tab and then see the Style: options. Also note the option 'Direction' to run the report for descendants or ancestors. You can experiment with those journal styles and options to see which you prefer.

Virginia

Hi, nckarter,

As Virginia suggested, the TMG report most like the FTM report you describe is called a Journal. It is available in both Ancestor and Descendant versions. The version is selected on the General tab of Options. What you are describing is the Descendants version.

In TMG this report is a true narrative, with all events output in narrative style, not just the birth/marriage/death events like in FTM. However for them to print as narrative the details must be entered in the Tags correctly. The import from FTM probably brought all the data into TMG, but in some cases it will not be entered in the Tags in a way that produces good narratives. Some cleanup will be required. The article on my website (link below) on importing has some suggestions on how to do that.