TPG

TMG V9 Topics not counting views or responses

On my MSIE v10 browser, neither the "views" nor the "responses" are being counted in the TMG v9 forum - at least for the last week or so.

When viewing the page of the list of all Forums, the information to the right of a particular Forum shows the correct topic and date of the latest posting. But after clicking on that Forum to show the topics in that Forum, that page does not show the date or person of the latest posting, nor the correct count of replies. And the Topic page itself does not show the latest posts.

As an example, at least one topic has the following behavior:
On the page of all Forums the last post for the most recently replied topic is shown, with 2 topics and 24 replies in that Forum.

On that Forum page there are two topics, but the sum of the listed replies is 23 not 24. Further the example topic claims to have 16 replies and shows the person and date of a several days back reply.

On that Topic page it claims to have 16 replies, but in addition to the original post one can count 19 replies.

However, that display of 19 is not complete. The last reply is from an earlier date which does not match the correct last reply date shown in the "all Forums" page. There have been at least three more replies to this topic which did show for a while but do not currently show.

Something is very wrong with the Forum.

Definitely a problem with the forum.

Note that the Forum option 'Follow' to receive messages by email is still working.

If you opt to receive forum messages (postings and replies) by email, there is a link in that email message to the forum message so you can quickly go to that new message and reply if you wish. 'Follow' can be a big time-saver - not having to visit the forum and look for new content.

Virginia

Is anyone working to fix the "counting" problem? Who is responsible to look into matters such as this? I doubt that this is a serious problem, but I am concerned that it hasn't been fixed yet. While I personally am not up to speed on forum maintenance responsibilities, it would be nice to know who, if anyone, is working on this.

Hi Tom,

I am under the impression that only Bob, or some WhollyGenes employee he has delegated, has the permissions to deal with this.

I have no idea of the cause, but I agree it is annoying. For me the biggest issue is not being able to tell what I have not read. The "View New Content" option now always reports "no new content found". And viewing a specific Forum (like "The Master Genealogist v9") no longer highlights my unread topics and often does not show the latest post date or person. Only the main index of all Forums highlights an unread Forum, and then it only identifies the latest updated topic in that Forum. If two topics in the same Forum were updated, I only notice the last one updated.

As Virginia has noted, one can "Follow" a topic or a Forum, and that does seem to provide notice of updates. That may be a "workaround" for now, but getting individual notices is a pain when I used to be able to simply "View New Content" and see all new content at once.

I wrote to Bob Velke yesterday on this problem and he responded "We're working on it, Tom."

Terry:

I still don't think the forums are counting views. Nor do I think that the count of replies is correct.

You are correct. While there has been some improvement, there are many things which still do not work, or only partially work, especially "View New Content".