Are all the differences just in the configuration? I ask because after 2 generations back 3/4 of my ancestors are from the UK. Can I easily switch between configurations?

The base program is identical. On the first run, some customizations are added to the UK installation.

While it can be done, it's non-trivial to change the configuration to switch back and forth between the US and UK editions.

You once could have a US installation and a UK installation on the same system; however, you can't do this with the current version because of how the installer is configured.

A project can be edited with either installation and this doesn't change the US/UK settings of the particular project.

Are you saying that I can customize by project? If that's so, which version should I purchase for my situation?

Not exactly. The UK edition produces UK projects.

The US edition will allow a project to have the UK project customizations added (tag types, styles, source types, source elements) if you had all of those customizations.

I've attached a empty v9.02 UK project. Open the ZIP file and extract the backup SQZ file. Restore the backup to create the UK_customizations project. This project can only be opened by v9.02 (or later). (Keep the backup for future use.)

You merge the UK_customzations project into a project created in the US version and then merge the uk_customizations data set into a data set created by the US version. That will add all of the UK customizations to the US data set.

btw... I suggest keeping each of your projects in separate subfolders under the Projects folder. That's a much cleaner process as opposed to dumping all of your projects into the Projects folder together.

UK_customizations 2014-07-10 17-30-29.zip

Edited by Jim Byram

Jim, your instructions above interest me greatly. My project was created using the US version many years ago but because of the number of people in my project from the UK I decided when buying an upgrade a couple of years ago to buy the UK version. I expected that when I restored my project into the new program it would have the UK customizations but it was no different from the US version. I couldn't understand that but after creating a new project found that in that the UK customizations existed.

Are you able to expand on your instructions above in the 4th paragraph because I think that is what I need to do to convert my data set so that it then includes the UK customizations? Am I able to end up with a project with the same name as my present project?

Jim, can I proceed using your v9.02 UK_customizations project when I have v9.3 UK.

Sure. You need to restore the UK_customizations project and it will be updated to v9.03.

Then, open the Sample Project

From there, merge the UK_customizations project into your project.

File / Merge Projects

Then, open your project and merge the UK_customizations data set into your original data set.

File / Data Set Manager / [Merge]

This whole proecess only takes a few minutes.

I just restored the project backup (SQZ) with no problem.

You did open the ZIP file and extract the SQZ file and restore the SQZ file, right? (I suspect that this is your problem.) (The SQZ file needed to be added to a ZIP to post on the forum.)

And you can always open the SQZ file (which is a ZIP file) and drag and drop the files into a folder under the projects folder.

The backup of the restored project is attached.

UK_customizations 2014-08-14 05-26-00.zip