rlgleason51

Moving from TMG 8 to TMG 9

I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to TMG 9 (from TMG 8). I seem to remember reading tips, suggestions, cautions and guidelines about installing TMG 9 alongside of TMG 8 but cannot now locate the thread. What do I have to be aware of when installing v9? For ex., I think I remember some users had issues with v8 folders being created(?) when installing v9.

I am currently running v8.8 on a Mac using parallels and windows 7.

Thanks

Edited by rlgleason51

I would back up your project(s), uninstall v8 and clean up the remnants. You can leave the three v8 data folders until you are sure that you have copied everything from the v8 data folders to the v9 data folders that you want.

Download the v9 trial version from the Wholly Genes website and Install v9 with the usual cautions about installing TMG on a Mac as discussed in Glenn's topic. Since you've installed TMG on a Mac, you know what you need to do.

On the first run of TMG9 for each project, be sure to check the Preferences / Advanced tab to make sure that the paths are correct.

Thanks. If I understand, I can create my \v9data folder (I store the data on a external drive). Copy my data files from \v8data to \v9data. I then create a \v9bak folder and backup my v8 project to that folder.

Then uninstall and remove all instances of the v8 project folders. At that point I can install v9 and v9 preferences to the correct paths. All my exhibits are external so they are not a problem.

Two questions: what to I do with my custom layout? Do I have to restore my project in v9 to open it, or can I just open the project?

You can locate backups wherever you wish.

You can copy the layout files (*.lo) from the v8 user program data folder to the v9 user program data folder.