John W Van Dyke

TMG Used to Be Fun

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if it is just me and my TMG database. There was a time when genealogy (with the earlier versions of TMG) was fun! However, it seems of late, versions 8 and now 9 are with nothing but problems. I've had files lost on "Optimize", Backups not working properly, the program telling me it is in use "someplace else, etc.

I add and remove or modify citations, than try to backup and the program stops. I work with the program for about 15 minutes only to have the "Optimize" tell me of lost file.

I have recently reformatted my hard drive thinking, maybe, just maybe, there was something somewhere, giving bad information. I have tried to work the program with very little added programs to my hard drive with the same results. I have had help given through the forum and the TMG Digest, yet still the same results.

It is now to the point where "Genealogy and The Master Genealogist" is no longer fun!!!

I'd like to think those at Wholly Genes could produce a product without field experiencing major problems. When I worked genealogy with the earlier versions, I never had any issues.

John Van Dyke

Brewer, Maine

I agree, John, that dealing with software problems is no fun. I have often found that upgrades of most any software program causes me problems, some more than others. And I empathize with your recent problems, you have had a difficult time. However, as Version 9.03 seems to have resolved most people's problems, I would hope it has resolved yours. If not, then I would suggest continuing to investigate your own specific system, as you have been doing, to try to discover what is unique about your configuration. Usually it has been some other program, often an automatic backup program like Dropbox or Carbonite, which is interfering with TMG by accessing TMG's files while TMG is trying to use them.

Best wishes to you in hopes your problems can be resolved and you can get back to the fun of genealogy,

John -

I have been fortunate and have had very few problems with TMG. I do run a simple ship with all files and folders in their default locations and use Dropbox only for backups.

I wonder if you have tried, as I suggested, a one-word, lowercase, no spaces or hyphens, project name for your Van Dykes instead of 'My VAN DYKE-SMITH PROJECT.pjc' You can't hurt anything if you experiment with a Copy of your project. The project name is not likely to appear in reports, so it does not have to be overly specific - and with a hundred project files with that name being manipulated, maybe the simpler the better.

Virginia

John,

I had posted to your earlier thread a while back. I had the same problem for months and as you say it took all the fun out of using TMG. I had restricted my anti-virus and anti-malware away from the folders where TMG files reside. Since doing that, I've had several hours-long input sessions on TMG 9 followed by Optimize-VFI-Optimize sessions with no crashes ! I hope I'm out of the woods but I still cringe each time I run Optimize for fear it will crash. I've run thus far 8 consecutive sessions with no crashes yet - knock on wood .

John,

I am using TMG since version 6.xx up to today's version 9.03. I have had several problems, but never lost files and no problems with optimize. My sessions are usually several hours, the projects are in a user-defined folder. My main project has about 55.000 people, 150.000 events, 30.000 sources, 42.000 (external) exhibits. No functional problems.

Hi Everyone,

Virginia, I have reduced the file name of my project to a single name. with 12 letters. My last effort to do a backup, TMG said the program was running somewhere else. I am going to retry and see what it does today.

John

Hi Again,

Well, here I go again! Working just about 15 minutes doing some "Citation" work.

I tried to run a "Optimize" after doing a "Reindex". I get this: "This process requires exclusive access to the data files but the project is open elsewhere at this time. Please close any other copies of the application that are accessing this project and try again.

I tried to then run a backup and I got this: "Warning: The project is in use elsewhere. It cannot be backed up while in use. Program closes completey

I go to open the program and tag appears: "An error happened when opening the data tables... File c;\Users\John\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Projects\VANDYKESMITH_S.dbf not found."

I press "OK", then, "Repair mode has been activated. The application will now operate somewhat more slowly as it validates each file that it is opened. Repair Mode will be off again the next time that you run the application."

I now press OK. A new window opens and "Last" is greyed out!

I the try to Select and I get "An error happened when opening the data tables... File c:\...

So, the frustration just keeps building!

John

John,

This message is the same that would occur if some program other than TMG was accessing the files at that time. I am still suspicious that some other program is the cause of all your problems.

Hi Again,

Well, after completely removing and reinstalling version 9.03 and making ONE entry I did the shuffle again. This time the Reindex, Optimize and VFI went OK. However, selecting back up with Project items: Project data files and External exhibits checked I get OLE exception error: Exception code c 00000fd.OLE object may be corrupt.

The frustration is getting worse..

John

John -

Where are you making your backup to? Is that the same location as in Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced?

What are you backing up? If you backup only the projects, accents and filters, do you get an error?

If you have your exhibits in folders outside of TMG, you can back those up separately outside of TMG. You will want to anyway if you have your exhibits in a multi-folder folder tree. Restoring a TMG backup with those exhibits will flatten the tree.

From TMG Help / Restore:

"CAUTION: If your exhibits are stored in a multi-folder folder tree rather than in a single folder, you should not use the Restore Wizard with your exhibits. Maintenance of exhibit folder trees (such as backing up or moving the exhibits) should be done outside of TMG v9."

How many exhibits do you have? It used to be that too many caused an OLE error in the backup, but that was many thousands.

If you Ctrl-Alt-Del when the backup error occurs, what other applications are running at the time?

Virginia

You complain that genealogy with The Master Genealogist is no longer any fun. You have the wrong perspective on this whole issue. You should think of it as an opportunity to learn all the ins and outs of the operating system, details of folder naming, interpretation of obscure error messages, the quirks with various third party software that runs with everything else, etc. Then there's always the promise that the very next release will solve all your problems. What could be more fun than that?

Good Morning,

First of all, Virginia, to answer your questions, my back up path is the same as my "Default Project Path" with \Backups\. Your second question of what am I backing up; I have tried it many different ways. For most of my errors I "Back Up All", eliminate External Exhibits and DNA, and for Program Items all are checked. Normal Compression.

And, to comment on TPG, I have been with computers and software since 1992. And, yes, for the most part "Learning" the "ins and outs" of an "Operating System" is one thing. But, with program software, one "expects" it to run without too many problems ALL the time. Realizing this is a complex program, over the years, I have been with TMG using version 6.2. My problems started with about version 8+. Up to that point, I have promoted TMG and talked it up, provided training to many people and a discussion for a genealogy group.

At this point, whatever the problem is, I am NOT a happy TMG person.

John

Again, John, since you appear to be one of very, very few people having such problems with Version 9.03, I continue to suspect that the problem is not TMG but with some other unusual program or configuration on your computer interferring with TMG. Were it me, I would be being unhappy with that other program, not TMG.

Regardless, I hope you realize that we other users of TMG are still trying to help and offer suggestions.

John -

Using your same backup configuration, does the Sample project back up without errors?

Instead of Backup All, try a very basic routine - only the 3 steps below. Assuming the backup is going to a folder on your hard drive, not an external medium:

In the first screen in the Backup Wizard:

File / BACKUP PROJECT /.

Go to Step 3. For the project items, uncheck External Exhibits.

Click Finish.

Virginia