Sign in to follow this  
rweinl

problem with TMG automatic upgrade from 9.02 to 9.03

Hello,

I tried to upgrade from v9.02 to v9.03 with the 'check for an update' option like suggested on the 'upgrade center' page of the website but all my projects have diseappered after the installation of this update.

How can I restore my projects ?

Same problem. Upgrading from 9.01, which worked well, to 9.03. Can't find my data and get many many error messages.

Re disappearing projects and data - there are three sources of information in TMG with which you will want to become familiar and which you will find helpful in locating your projects and other files like layouts and toolbars.

1. The Help topic 'Data File Storage'

2. Go to Help on the top menu in TMG and cursor down to Access Folders.

3. In each project, Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced. Click on that Help button for more information on the Advanced preference settings for the User Data Tree. If you locate your data in other than the defaults, you will want to update those paths. Note the Red Caution box.

Virginia

Went to trial version, took the repair choice. Everything now working fine.

- Uninstalled current TMG 9.03

- Downloaded tmg9setup (trial version) from whollygenes.com

- Installed the new program (had to run tmg9setup as an admin)

- Launched TMG 9.03 and got a windows 8.1 freeze

- Powered-off/power-on and restarted Windows

- Restarted tmg9setup as an admin

- Executed TMG 9.03 successfully with my reappeared projects.

- Everything works fine... likely until next update !

After installing upgrade to 9.03 I cannot even find my whole project! Nothing is in the project files now except the sample project. I uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled 9.03, still no project! What should I do?

What version did you upgrade from? Which folders are you looking in? If you upgraded from Version 8 they are probably still in your Version 8 folders. Version 9 will define default folder locations, but it is up to you to set the program Preferences defaults to where you actually want Version 9 to look for various files. Then you will need to find and upgrade each individual project, and to modify (if desired) the default locations within each separate Project's Preferences to point to the desired folders for that specific Project.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Installing/unstalling the program has no effect on your data.

Did you use File / Open and browse to the project location and open it?

By default, your project would be located under the v9 project folder.

Windows Vista and later

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\projects

However, it's up to you to put it there. Projects are not automagically copied to a new location when installing a new TMG version.

As Michael notes, if you updated from an earlier version of TMG, your project still would be located under the appropriate user data folder. For example...

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v8\projects

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\projects

You should restore a backup from the earlier version to TMG9. Or copy your project files to the v9 projects folder.